Help with my M31 please?

Hi this is my M31 after 24 x 120s ISO 800, 10 darks and 20 BIAS with unmoded 1100d on ED80. No field flattener and unguided.

post-16295-0-16273600-1353258607_thumb.j

Looks washed out and horrible to me after three iterations of levels and curves. Appreciate your expert view please? :)

Appreciate if an expert has ten minutes to look at my DSS output file 32Bit TIFF and have a go at improving it and some advice about what to do???? 90 Megs though so not to worry if you have not got time.

https://dl.dropbox.c...0949989/M31.tif

Kind regards, Steve

I'm not sure how much (if any!) of an improvement this makes but I have attempted to get a better colour balance, removed some vignetting and carried out some selective sharpening:-

post-1029-0-88406500-1353262464_thumb.jp

This is what I did:-

1. Numerous iterations of 'Levels' in increments 10 10 for black level and 0.10 for grey

2. Adjusted grey level for red, green and blue separately to get a balanced histogram (all 3 colours overlaid)

3. Hasta La Vista Green (HLVG) plug-in to remove green hue

4. Numerous iterations of 'Curves' with the black level anchored

5. Modified Curves shape to control the core

6. Gradient Xterminator plug-in to address the vignette using a selection that excluded the two galaxies

7. Adjusted hue to obtain a more 'yellow' image balance

8. Carried out a selective sharpen of the dust lanes

9. Noise Ninja plug-in to address the background noise and then brushed the dust lanes back to unsmoothed

10. I took the liberty of rotating the image to the more popular orientation

You have a basically nice image here although you need to consider a field flattener as peripheral stars are elongated radiating from the core (this is standard with a refractor) and flats will always help any image allowing you greater flexibility when stretching the data.

Gee Steve!!!!! That's amazing!!!!! Wow, wow and wow again... I will step through your procedure carefully and see if I can get something similar, albeit i do not have those plug-ins. I need to read and study your book a little more as well on processing.

Thankyou so much Steve for you time and help :)

Rgds, Steve

My pleasure, Steve. With regard to the plugins, there are some free alternatives.

3. Hasta La Vista Green (HLVG) plug-in to remove green hue

This is free from here.

6. Gradient Xterminator plug-in to address the vignette using a selection that excluded the two galaxies

PhotoShop has a 'vignette filter' under Filter - Distort - Lens Correction which may be worth a try

9. Noise Ninja plug-in to address the background noise and then brushed the dust lanes back to unsmoothed

At least two options here - try Noiseware Community Version or simply Duplicate Layer and Gaussian blur it slightly

Here's a somewhat overcooked version, but it shows that there's some interesting colour information to work on.

Thanks for sharing! EDIT: Forgot to tell you that it's a great capture you have there with very little data for the target! :smiley: Also, I just worked on your jpeg - I am far, far from the expert camp so I'll leave the TIFF for the learned :smiley:.

post-16323-0-81146200-1353353188_thumb.j

Archived