A cruise with the new Leicas.

ollypenrice

OK, very expensive glass, even at half price and second hand, but do these 8x42s deliver? They do.

Orion's Sword, beautiful as ever. M42 can be seen without doubt as the angel fish shaped nebula seen in astrophotos. It looks remarkably extensive and far bigger and sharper than I've ever seen before in binos, including 11x80s and 15x70s. M41, de Mairan's nebula, to the north was small but clear and bright. Moving up, the Running Man showed as faint and, for me, formless nebulosity. I didn't expect the curtains behind the Horse and couldn't get them, nor could I catch any hint of the Flame.

Over to NGC2244, the cluster within the Rosette. It looks a bit like the six dots of a domino six. And the Rosette? Yes! These bins are very easy on the eyes so you can linger and relax, waiting for the observation to come to you. Gradually a milkiness around the cluster became less and less ambiguous and moving the bins a little each side made the nebulosity unmistakable. I came back to this repeatedly and each visit was more confident in terms of seeing the Rosette. I normally look at this in a small apo with O111 filter or at parts of it in the big scope with an O111. Seeing it unfiltered was great.

Up to the Pleaides and the nebulosity was instantly visible. It's faint but this was as unmistakable as I've ever seen in any telescope and you can't always see it in scopes by any means. For three nights running the bins have shown it well. The stars were tiny and stunningly sharp.

Light grasp is fine and the old 'aperture rules' is all very well, but what was coming across on this very nice evening was that contrast might rule instead. The Leicas have quite incredible contrast. Black sky is black sky so you can pick up very faint nebulosity against it.

I had a nice time looking at The Coathanger, M35 and all sorts of unknown (to me) small clusters and wound up with a couple of galaxies, M33 (vague as ever but no mistaking it) and M31 whose dust lanes made a hard edge to that side of the galaxy. It spanned just over half of the field, I'd say.

The bins have been a big hit with those who've tried them and everyone so far has got on with them effortlessly. Relaxing in a lounger with binos has to be the perfect antidote to the struggles of imaging! Mind you, we have some nice data coming in for the next pic.

Olly

Interesting Olly. I've been toying with getting some lower power binos as I struggle with 10x, and I proved again tonight that 15x is certainly too much hand-held. It would be nice to cruise while the imaging rig does its thing.

Helen

Interesting Olly. I've been toying with getting some lower power binos as I struggle with 10x, and I proved again tonight that 15x is certainly too much hand-held. It would be nice to cruise while the imaging rig does its thing.

Helen

Yes, It's 8x for me, now, conclusively. So much nicer when there's no jitter. I've tried IS and while I do like them the Leicas give a finer image. It's a nice thing to do while imaging, for sure.

Olly

M41, de Mairan's nebula,
M43? :smiley:
Light grasp is fine and the old 'aperture rules' is all very well, but what was coming across on this very nice evening was that contrast might rule instead.
Indeed it does! There is so much to be said for observing with premium-quality optics!

So is there like the 2nd best in 8x42?

I am looking for something smaller than my 10x50.

I think there are lots. I have 10x50s as well, though only budget ones, and the 10x is too much and, judging by the Leicas, the 50 not necessary bearing in mind the exit pupil. I think that Steve at FLO has an excellent grasp of the principles and the products and would give good advice.

Olly

Archived