Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Budget 2nd imaging mount ideas?

GlassWalker

Currently I've got an EQ6 on pier which I use for deep sky, but the position its in limits my options a bit for lower objects like the sun and moon. So a 2nd mobile mount would help there. It would only really be used for solar/lunar so wouldn't need to be highly accurately set up for long exposure, but would still need to be an equatorial mount.

Bigger scopes I'd use on it would include a ST120 or perhaps a 8" SCT. I already have an astrotrac which I've used ok before, but its tripod doesn't seem up to the job and wobbles a lot as scopes get heavier, or focal lengths get longer.

So my options are:

1: get a new tripod or pier for the Astrotrac, but it would also need a ton of new mounting bits since it is currently set up for photographic kit.

2: start again with something else - perhaps an EQ5 with motor drive? I assume an EQ3 with motor drive would be aiming too low?

As it will only be for solar/lunar, I don't want a massive spend on this.

An EQ3-2 would probably take the ST120, but I think an 8" SCT would be too much for it, especially on a tripod. I don't think I'd want to go any bigger than my 127 Mak. Unless of course you could pick up a stainless tube tripod.

I'm not even entirely convinced by the idea of putting an 8" SCT on an EQ5 for imaging, but never having owned an EQ5 I can't really say.

James

Just to make it absolutely clear, I'm only going to use this 2nd mount for solar/lunar imaging, not deep sky. As long as I can keep the target in the field of view for several minutes, exposures of a fraction of a second will be no problem. I kinda looked at the 3-2 but it is hardly any saving from the 5 hence I was looking more at that.

Archived