NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A modified DMK nosepiece for Solar imaging & PSTs

DrRobin

Hi,

Sorry to post in this section, but this is specific to solar and also PST.

My new DMK41 can't quite image the sun in one go when used in a Lunt 60 (500mm focal length). I tried a 0.5x focal reducer on the end of a short nosepiece but this gives rather too much reduction, resulting in a lot of wasted pixels. What I needed was a way of getting the focal reducer closer to the chip to optimise the use of the chip.

The same happens with a screw in Barlow, it gives slightly too much magnification (PST users note) and getting the 1.25" screw in Barlow close will reduce the magnification and might allow a DMK to focus in a PST at near prime focus without modifying the PST eyepiece holder.

The DMK nosepiece is threaded all the way down with a 1.25" filter thread, so a qucik go with a hacksaw and a IS standard nosepiece was reduced in size.

The following pic shows the standard and chopped down nosepiece.

post-10602-0-10524000-1351622163_thumb.j

I chose to chop quite a lot off as the optimum distance can then be achieved by adding the C/CS spacer, shown in the pic next to the chopped down nosepiece.

And finally, a 0.5x FR fitted. Notice how close it will be to the body of the camera.

post-10602-0-40848800-1351622173_thumb.j

I haven't seen the sun yet to test it, but I reckon this will be somewhere near to the 0.7x I require.

If I placed my DMK41 front casing up against the top of the PST eye piece tube I reached focus on the sun with a couple of millimetres to spare, others have had focus problems with the same equipment so there must be some variability in the manufacturers quality control and consistency

Archived