Problem with Telrad?

with a telrad or any red dot finder to work without a paralax error the image needs to be at infinity, so if your are short sighted you will need your glasses on for it to be sharp.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with a telrad or any red dot finder to work without a paralax error the image needs to be at infinity, so if your are short sighted you will need your glasses on for it to be sharp.

The thing is, I have perfect vision and don't need to wear glasses (yet!). But I was instinctively focussing on the image which caused it to blur. Once I relaxed my eyes and looked off into the distance the image sharpened up nicely. Having not had the opportunity to use it in the field however, I can't be 100% certain that all is well. As my camera shows a sharp image of the reticle, I think it really is just a case of my eye needing to relax to focus on infinity.

Where did you mount your Telrad? I'm still debating

I've not had the chance to decide yet with all this cloud that came free with the latest telrad consignment! :grin:

My focuser and the finder shoe are too close together on the OTA to mount it between them, so I think it will have to be either to the left of the focuser (i.e. telrad, focuser, finderscope), or to the right of the finder (focuser, finder, telrad).

Both sound awkward, but I don't want to have to rotate the OTA every time! I'm leaning towards the latter, because then the two finders are closest together...

My focuser and the finder shoe are too close together on the OTA to mount it between them, so I think it will have to be either to the left of the focuser (i.e. telrad, focuser, finderscope), or to the right of the finder (focuser, finder, telrad).

Both sound awkward, but I don't want to have to rotate the OTA every time! I'm leaning towards the latter, because then the two finders are closest together...

Alot of people get another base and put it either side. So whichever way you end up rotating the tube, to get the EP to a comfortable position, the Telrad is close to the top.

A silly question, but when I hear talk of using "cable ties" to temporarily attach the telrad base, I assume we're talking about those plastic jobs that clip together such that you've got to cut them with a scissors to release them. Have I got that wrong?

Archived