Diagonal help

All,

I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction please. I have a Sky-Watcher 102 Mak Cass SynScan AZ Goto, I am looking to buy a couple of piece to upgrade the standard kit that came out of the box. I have read on this site and others that the star diagonal can make a big difference. I was hoping someone could provide some advice on which diagonal to get (it's a 1.25"). It's not easy finding reviews on these things, but real world advice from you guys would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Karl.

Hi Karl. I'm wondering what the problem is with the diagonal you already have ? The standard prism diagonal is usually ok, over the years I've used several, and none gave cause for concern. Personally, I'd sooner get better eyepieces, better ones are normally I big upgrade over the entry level ones. No need to spend a fortune, the Mak Cass optical design does not need high end eyepieces to work well.

Regards, Ed.

I have the Celestron 1.25" and 2" diagonals and also a WO 2" carbon fibre. They all work fine in my Sct and all the other scopes in my signature too. But as Ed says - most makes should work so it would be interesting to know exactly what the problem is.Hope that helps :)

Avoid the Williams Optics 1.25" diagonal - it has annoying reflection issues.

That's good to know! I was considering this one myself.

In defence of the OP's desire to upgrade the diagonal, I've heard it said that this is the piece of your kit that can really hold back the optics, especially some of the cheaper 'in the box' sorts. A really good diagonal can go with you from scope to scope whereas eyepieces may not. If you get a great one it can last your observing life.

Personally, I'd sooner get better eyepieces, better ones are normally I big upgrade over the entry level ones. No need to spend a fortune, the Mak Cass optical design does not need high end eyepieces to work well.

Regards, Ed.

Good point here. Upgrading eyepieces will show you a more significant improvement if you are currently using those that came with the scope. For a Mak maybe look at GSO or Vixen NPL plossls. From experience I can say that GSOs are very well suited to this type of scope.

get the one wh

ich is strongest

The strongest would be the Tele Vue Everbright which is machined from a single block of alloy. It's a wonderful thing but costs £176 - thats a lot of dosh for a 1.25" diagonal :undecided:

The standard Skywatcher 1.25" diagonal is not the greatest thing but it's optically not bad.

I compared a Tele Vue 1.25" Everbright to a low cost Antares 1.25" diagonal a couple of years back and, while the build quality of the Tele Vue was much better, the optical performance was very similar.

Archived