Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

advice on telescope

I ask for advice on telescope

I'm debating between these three telescopes:

- Nexstar 4 "Maksutov

- Nexstar 5 "

- 127 SLT Celestron Maksutov.

If someone can say something (not features because I have very looked) on any of them firsthand. that is, if you have used .. Seeking a very handy, fast, lightweight and without any complications, I have little time at night I can see! but we would sing a different story ... right?

Thanks in advance.

Paco

Hello

What is your selection criteria for these? Visual, photography? Plantes, DSO? These are F/10 or more and would be considered "slow" in the term they don't let through a lot of light. They are more suited for planetary work and the focal length makes them bad all-rounders. If you wan't to bang up something to have a quick look you're much better off with a quick refractor or a handy dobsonian newton.

Please elaborate and we can give you more specific advice.

Cheers

Probably the Nexstar 5", I assume you are refering to the 5SE ?

Same diameter as the 127, but the 5SE is an SCT not a Mak and so a slightly wider field of view.

Also hope that the Celestron electronics are better then the Skywatcher as the 127 SLT looks like the Skywatcher with a different name - the arm is not the standard Celestron side but is the SW side.

You want something fast to set up however it still means that you will have to take the time to set it up as accurately as possible. The initial setting is vital to these scopes - the goto needs it. The wider field of view will help here but sugges you still get a 32mm plossl for finding and centering the first star.

The 5SE would be best in my book, because it allows you to use a slightly larger FOV than the 127 SLT. The argument "slow scopes don't let as much light through as fast" is not correct. The amount of light is determined by the aperture. and the visual magnification determines how bright it appears (how much the light is diluted by magnification, if you like). Visually, my F/10 SCT is as good on DSOs as an 8" F/5 Newtonian at the same magnification. A faster scope does allow you to see a larger field of view, and is better at DSO imaging.

Yep the 5SE is best out of those 3. I'm pretty much thinking from a photographers point of view. It very much depends on your intended targets. Maybe I'm biased against smaller aperture/longer focal length combinations.

It also depends on if you want the GOTO or is willing to sacrifice it for ease of use/rapid deployment. Some people would argue that you're not a real astronomer if you don't track down the objects yourself, but some people like me like the gadgets. However since time is a factor, the GOTO can prove both a boon or a problem. While it takes a while to set up, it will make it incredibly easy to view a multitude of objects once you've got it aligned properly.

The nexstars are pretty good kits, if as long as one is aware of the limitations vs other setups in the same price range.

If you are looking at small, lightweight and no hassles in set-up (but more in finding objects), the heritage 130 Dobson is nice. It is also very cheap. Better on wide-field, but less forgiving on cheap EPs. You do need to be comfortable with collimation (SCTs are VERY robust in that sense, they very rarely lose collimation).

Archived