HEQ5 power question

I have hopefully got a second hand HEQ5 synscan on the way. From looking at the forums I am choosing to stay away from the power packs and when I get time build a power tank. Until then can the mount be powered from my car battery via the cigarette lighter. If not is there any other way to make us of the car battery. It would only be for short periods of time so not much more than a couple of hours.

Thanks in advance.

Yes - it will work fine. I have done the same with mine. But do yourself a favour....... Don't drive to the middle of nowhere, spend hours with your scope and then expect to start your car - you will have drained your battery. Just do so for an hour maximum. I have Maplin JumpStarter for £50. Used it for two years. Works fine as long as you look after it and charge after very use. I will build a Power Pack too from GEL batteries when this gives out.

At a recent event Altair Astro were there with an assortment of power cables for scopes where one end was the car power socket. Took notice of 2, first one was for Celestron second was for Meade, there were others there. I stopped looking after the Meade as I have Meade scopes but the one I often grab and go with is 9v not 12v.

I suspect they will have one for your mount, maybe the Celestron fits. May be worth looking at their site or a phone call if you didn't want to make your own.

Archived