Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

options with just a dslr

sam mayo

i am buying my first camera today and was wondering what i an do with it untill i can afford the mount to go with camera and scope not sure if there is anything but practice will be neded not very adept with camera,s

thanks sam

What camera and what lens are you getting?

You can get some really really good wide field shots with just a DSLR, wide angle lens and a tripod.

Check my gallery for some examples what I've done with the bundled 18-55 F/3.5. I'm really pleased with the result thusfar.

Just set iso to 400, 15 sec exposure, maximum aperture, widest angle. Then take it from there. Fiddle around with settings and see what you can capture. Learn by doing :)

Obviously you have to keep the exposure short (below 20 imo) when you run with a tripod or you will get star trails, or you could go for 10min+ shots to get he really long ones. You might need a cheap IR remote for some cameras (like my Nikon D5100) and manually time when going over 30 seconds. It's really fun though, because the camera starts picking up stuff your eyes cannot, like the Andromeda who might be difficult from populated areas.

Archived