Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which is better?

Vince1963

Hi Guys, I'm looking at buying some more bino's, Can anyone tell me which is the best budget bino's out of these two.... Visionary 15x70 or the Celestron sky master 15x70. I currently have a pair of Celetron 10x50 which i'm very happy with but i'm looking at upping the mag a bit. Kind regards Vince :icon_salut:

Hi

I used to own the Celestron 15x70s so can vouch for these. You'll probably hear this advice a lot but get yourself a tripod to use them with as the increased mag will show every shake and wobble of your hands, arms and upper body generally. I used my bins with the Horizon 8115 tripod.

I haven't used / seen the Visionary model so can't offer an opinion either way.

HTH!

Hi John... I already have some Celstron 10 x 50s which i like, for the money there brill. But someone mentioned the Vistionary's to me and i thought i'd ask if anyone had tried them. I know you get what you pay for but i can't justify spending more than £100 on some 15 x 75 or any others for that matter. If i was spending more money i'd just go and get a nice Refractor but something more portable than my 8" dob.. You know, "a grab and go size". that don't need much cooling down. . Regards Vince :icon_salut:

Hi, I tried 2 pairs of Celestron 15X70's. On the first the colimination was way off so returned. Obtained a second pair from another retailer but was never quite happy so traded in for some Visionary Neoma 15x70's. These seem sharper to my un expert eye and I am quite happy for the time being at any rate. Perhaps it's the pot luck factor? I do wear glasses [have tried with-out my glasses] and I think this is perhaps a factor in any bins I use for night time viewing. All are fine during the day for me but can be be a disappointment when star gazing. So if possible and probably not an option for you, try at night. I really fancied the Apollo's but did not want to risk the spend for another potential disappoinment. Maybe I will get to try some one-day.

Yup, one of the ways they keep the price down on these budget binoculars is that they have minimal quality control. Essentially YOU are the QC department and, to put it bluntly, your average member of the public, using a binocular in the daytime, is probably going to be less critical than any self-respecting QC bod. The upshot is that whilst you do get good ones, you also get some real lemons getting through.

The only real way to tell is to put the things to your head and look through them at night. Daytime is not a test of astronomical binoculars; you can pick up gross errors, but not teh more subtle ones that show up when you are looking at very high contrast point objects with dilated pupils.

Archived