Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

October 11, 2012: Same Comet, new Galaxies (and a little cluster)

Yesterday I had what is predicted to be the last opportunity for at least a week to do some observing, so I set up the scope early, and despite slightly hazy conditions went comet hunting at around 8:30 PM. Comet C/2012 K5 (LINEAR) in Bootes was still elusive, despite prolonged attempts to capture it. I gave up as it moved behind the plum tree in the garden. I then switched to galaxies, and, inspired by DKDs observation, tracked down NGC 2300, in Cepheus, a very short star-hop from Polaris. Not the easiest with an EQ mount, but by now I have got the hang of it. The galaxy showed up only in averted vision as a slightly elongated fuzzy patch, quite close to a star. Nearby NGC 2276 was lost in the haze (increased by a nearby mag 7 star). I must try this again under better conditions, as my scope should be able to pick up that galaxy.

A bit further south ( just one way to go really ;) ), I got NGC 2268, in Camelopardalis. Again, a hazy patch in averted vision, which will probably show more detail in good conditions. Another star hop got me to the vicinity of NGC 2336. Some very vague hint showed, but it was too faint to be certain. I must revisit. The last galaxy in this sweep southwards was NGC 2366. I had the impression of two or more vague fuzzy patches, a slightly lumpy appearance, one patch being larger than the rest. As I tried to find the averted-vision sweet spot of my eye, this almost suggested the galaxy shifting position slightly as my eye moved. It turns out this galaxy indeed has a lumpy appearance in photographs, caused by star forming regions, one of which is distinct enough to have its own NGC number (NGC 2363). Conditions were not good enough to claim spotting the latter. Again, I must revisit this when conditions are better.

I then went briefly back to the other comet: Hergenrother. This was still going strong in Pegasus, close to alpha And. It had moved considerably since last night. Pretty little comet with a more distinct tail than yesterday. Staying in Pegasus, I tried NGC 7332 again, and found it quite easy compared to the others (despite having the same integrated magnitude as the others). It has a good surface brightness, like quite a few lenticulars I have seen (maybe due to the lack of dust?).

In Triangulum, I tried NGC 890 and NGC 925, but neither showed up. So, time for an easy target: the Double Cluster. Awesome as ever in the FOV of the 31mm. From there I star-hopped to Stock 23, a sparse open cluster with a couple of bright stars. Nearby planetary nebula IC 289, hoping that the UHC filter would battle the LP, but to no avail.

I then waited until Jupiter showed above the high hedge on the east, and the view in the XW10 showed an image of a planet swimming in a boiling atmosphere (heat rising from the city in the east). With a bit of patience, I did manage to spot some details. The North Temperate and both Equatorial Belts were very distinct, with more contrast than I expected from last year. A rich brown colour was evident, despite conditions. The GRS showed towards the eastern limb, and was distinctly paler than the SEB. This was my first look at Jupiter through the scope this season, so I was pretty pleased, despite the bad conditions.

So, a mixed bag of failures, old friends and four new objects. Not bad given the hazy conditions

Thanks for sharing.

I was eyeing up NGC 2655 in Camelopardalis but notice you spotted NGC 2268 in hazy conditions, which has given me another idea outside my 'to be attempted' list.

I have a three day weekend coming up, so hopefully there will be an opportunity for a slightly longer session (or two!).

Clear skies!

Well done Michael, that sounds a far more fruitful session than the reported on yesterday. That great objects logged.

I'm hoping, make that praying, there will be some clear skies at some point this weekend so i can take a look at comet 163P.

I then went briefly back to the other comet: Hergenrother. This was still going strong in Pegasus, close to alpha And. It had moved considerably since last night. Pretty little comet with a more distinct tail than yesterday.

Only map I could find of Hergenrother was from a S&T link. As the sky fully darkened it looked quite transparent but a neighbour had an inconveniently placed light on below the right area of Pegasus. I spent a half hour looking but just couldn't find it. When it was finally turned off, lo and behold wispy cloud. Annoying!

Archived