Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whats a reasonable upgrade from the HEQ5 Pro?

nmoushon

I currently have an Orion Sirius (USA equivalent of an HEQ5 Pro) and wondering what is a good mount to upgrade to? Yes I could go to the EQ6 or HEQ6 (or USAs equivalent) but the extreme jump in price does not justify the meager jump in weight capacity and tracking accuracy and all the other things that come into play. I am currently drooling over the Mesu 200 but the sticker price of over $7k is A LOT OF MONEY! NO WAY is the wife going to approve of that. With my limited knowledge of what good brands/manufacturers are I would like some help in suggesting some mounts that are a good upgrade but wont end up getting me a divorce. lol

You already know about the EQ6.

The CGEM from Celestron is not bad either but now we risk getting intot the zone where you need 2 people to set it up due to weight.

I'd pick the EQ6, lots of people in my club recommend it. The jump might be meager, but it's a jump, and if you jump further you might risk ending up with a piece thats no longer easily portable. This is why I went straight for the EQ6.

There isn't a significant improvement to be had until you dig deep. The NEQ6 carries more load but is no more accurate. In the States maybe a Losmandy G11 would be cheaper than a Mesu but it isn't as good, though it beats the EQs on accuracy. We have to distinguish payload from accuracy. The much loved NEQ6 cannot be called accurate, though it can guide out pretty well.

Olly

You already know about the EQ6.

The CGEM from Celestron is not bad either but now we risk getting intot the zone where you need 2 people to set it up due to weight.

I'd pick the EQ6, lots of people in my club recommend it. The jump might be meager, but it's a jump, and if you jump further you might risk ending up with a piece thats no longer easily portable. This is why I went straight for the EQ6.

Thats a good point. But if/when I make this jump it will be set up on a permanent pier so portability wont be a major issue. Will also be looking to longer FL scope with the pier too so I guess that comes into play also.

There isn't a significant improvement to be had until you dig deep. The NEQ6 carries more load but is no more accurate. In the States maybe a Losmandy G11 would be cheaper than a Mesu but it isn't as good, though it beats the EQs on accuracy. We have to distinguish payload from accuracy. The much loved NEQ6 cannot be called accurate, though it can guide out pretty well.

Olly

I know the NEQ6 isnt any more accurate than my current mount and if you add guiding to it then the only improvement is the extra 5-10lbs i can put on it. Thats why I'm trying to find something that is worth the money to upgrade to. I've heard of the G11-I figured you cant compare it to the Mesu but how much of an improvement over the EQs is it?

I noticed that the much talked of EQ8 hasn't surfaced yet, heard about it for the last couple of years but nothing. COuld it be worth making enquiries and perhaps waiting if it's release is in possibble in the next 6-8 months?

A search of mounts yesterday basically turned up that after the EQ6 there is a big price jump

Couple of weeks back someone posted a list of mounts and carry loads, could be worth a quick search and a read through that as I think it had prices also. Would at least give or hopefully give some possibilities.

I know the NEQ6 isnt any more accurate than my current mount and if you add guiding to it then the only improvement is the extra 5-10lbs i can put on it. Thats why I'm trying to find something that is worth the money to upgrade to. I've heard of the G11-I figured you cant compare it to the Mesu but how much of an improvement over the EQs is it?

A big improvement. When I was buying a premium mount a few years ago I had read of too many QC issues with the G11 to trust it. However, over the last few years the QC has greatly improved and the G11 that I see regularly here is very good, guiding reliably with a 10 inch SCT on the deep sky. http://www.franskroon.nl/

However, if you aim to go into long FL imaging you will need a good mount. This cannot be dodged. The Mesu would be my choice, I must say.

Olly

I've heard of the G11-I figured you cant compare it to the Mesu but how much of an improvement over the EQs is it?
You'd be better off asking about Losmandy mounts in an american forum. They've never been much of a hit in european markets. I have a GM-8 that I bought new. I thought that for the price I had to pay in the UK it would be pretty dam' good. Oh well, we live and learn. It's much, much cheaper in the USA and that makes the range more popular - which in turn means there are used versions available cheaper.

You could also look at the iEQ45 or other iOptron mounts. Although their payload is comparable to the NEQ6 and the price is higher, they also seem popular in the USA and are gaining some traction in the rest of the world, too. You could also consider the Celestron CGE-Pro which is a lot cheaper in the US than elsewhere.

As others have said: once you get beyond the NEQ6 there's a big leap in price before you start getting better capacity and/or accuracy (and if you want "service" on top .... )

The alternative is to look at ways of reducing the weight or inertia of your 'scope. Choosing a carbon fibre tube is a lower-weight option, as is looking at shorter OTAs: SCTs or RCs instead of long focal length reflectors or refractors

Thanks for the help and advice everyone. Really appreciate it.

I will pop up on a couple US forums to gather some more information on the G-11.

Is there a way to determine what the max FL that a mount can support? As much as much as I want a Mesu it looks like the G-11 would be the best priced upgrade I'm ever going to afford...unless the lotto gods are nice to me but I'm not getting my hopes up.

@Carl - I wish it was that easy. But my wife is very good at accounting/book keeping so sneaking up on a ninja would be easier than sneaking seven grand past her. LOL Which is a good think because I'd probably be living out of my car with my astro gear if she wasnt there.

You'd be better off asking about Losmandy mounts in an american forum. They've never been much of a hit in european markets. I have a GM-8 that I bought new. I thought that for the price I had to pay in the UK it would be pretty dam' good. Oh well, we live and learn. It's much, much cheaper in the USA and that makes the range more popular - which in turn means there are used versions available cheaper.

You could also look at the iEQ45 or other iOptron mounts. Although their payload is comparable to the NEQ6 and the price is higher, they also seem popular in the USA and are gaining some traction in the rest of the world, too. You could also consider the Celestron CGE-Pro which is a lot cheaper in the US than elsewhere.

As others have said: once you get beyond the NEQ6 there's a big leap in price before you start getting better capacity and/or accuracy (and if you want "service" on top .... )

The alternative is to look at ways of reducing the weight or inertia of your 'scope. Choosing a carbon fibre tube is a lower-weight option, as is looking at shorter OTAs: SCTs or RCs instead of long focal length reflectors or refractors

Pete, the iEQ45 is only just comparable in payload to the NEQ6. In reality it is a bit lower and if the OTA is long, as in a larger refractor, I found it to be a lot lower. The sprung drives of the iOptron don't work well against a big moment. The NEQ6 is fine with our TEC140 but the iOptron can't manage it even for visual.

I have seen a couple of G8s and both their owners and I thought them flawed. I'm far more impressed by the G11 though I think Losmandy could 'refresh' the design somewhat.

There has to be someone wanting to jump in with a good mount at around 2.5K!!

Olly

Archived