My First Jupiter xbox webcam

Jongo

Taken using a modified xbox live webcam with the IR filter still in(need to get another one after ruining the screws to the filter)

Was around 8000 frames taken in sharpcap and stacked with registax 6 using a 150p.

I brightened up the moons a bit in gimp.

Settings used in Sharpcap were.

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=30.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-7

Brightness=101

Contrast=30

Hue=112

Saturation=36

Sharpness=0

Gamma=180

WhiteBalance=4124(Auto)

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=5

I've got alot more videos i need to process but the psu in my main computer blew the other day so my poor performing laptop is doing the work currently, I will wait until thats up and running to do the rest of the pictures. Anyway I was mainly just fiddling with the camera settings till something reasonable came out. I couldn't seem to bring out any colour when i was fiddling, would that be because of the IR filter? or just some silly camera settings i had messed up?

Thanks for any advice in advance :)

nice image, i believe the lack of colour is because of the ir filter.

I tend to do most of my imaging in monochrome.

I could be wrong though and feel certain someone will correct me or offer guidance.

regards Pete

Amazing what you can do with our scopes the 150p is brilliant have you put sand in the legs yet to keep it steady.

Nope, although im thinking I might give it a whirl. Is there any guide to doing it?

An IR filter shouldn't affect the colour. I do all my webcam imaging with an IR filter in place.

It could be insufficient gain. Getting the gain right is a bit of a balancing act. You really don't want to overdo it because you increase the noise level in the image, but you do need enough that stacking programs have a useful image to work with. It's probably a question of trial an error until you find what works for your scope and camera. I spent a lot of time with my SPC900 just running captures with different gain settings (and others) to see how things worked out. It may be a case of doing the same. Each target is likely to be different, too.

I'd crop the image down a bit, too :)

James

An IR filter shouldn't affect the colour. I do all my webcam imaging with an IR filter in place.

It could be insufficient gain. Getting the gain right is a bit of a balancing act. You really don't want to overdo it because you increase the noise level in the image, but you do need enough that stacking programs have a useful image to work with. It's probably a question of trial an error until you find what works for your scope and camera. I spent a lot of time with my SPC900 just running captures with different gain settings (and others) to see how things worked out. It may be a case of doing the same. Each target is likely to be different, too.

I'd crop the image down a bit, too :)

James

Cheers dude! next time i will spend some more time messing with the settings, I was just really excited to be actually getting an image through! I thought it could be the IR filter since i think i read somewhere here that the filter in the xbox webcam is utterly pants and thats why it should be removed, either way i will pick up another one since there only £3-4 and do a little comparison and see what the difference is.

Archived