NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 5000 60 degree 5 element plossl first light.

proflight2000

I have the 26mm version of the meade 5000 and decided that id like to try the 14mm. When I got the 26mm I immeadiatly found an eyepiece that for me was really comfortable to use, gave me far better viewing than the cheaper ones I have and had some quality feel to it.

I got the 14mm from Steve at FLO and decided to give it a first light on the area of the Beta Cygni, I used it on the ST102 and was basically looking for something which would be easy to follow. Well the eyepiece for me was a delight, like its big 26mm brother, it was comfortable to use, gave a very nice clear view and allowed me to stay viewing for ages without getting eye sore. I did notice that around the edges you do get some loss in view and that in the area the stars look like trails, I would say that half a degree was affected, but the wider view gave me what I was after and although id seriously love to be able to get hold of a first class super dooper eyepiece, I think the meade played well.

The views later in the evening of the moon were excellent, very clear indeed.

I am now considering maybe something in the range of 6mm or 8mm so if anyone has one id appreciate and input.

• 2 weeks later...

A Series 5000 26mm 60 degree eyepiece came with my new scope (12" LX200R), and I did get to compare it with the Series 4000 eyepieces, of which I have pretty much a full set.

Unfortunately, I couldn't compare it directly with a 26mm Series 4000 eyepiece, as I let that one go with the 10" LX200GPS when I sold it.

However, my first impression of the new 5000 series eyepiece, was a feeling of quality build. It certainly did give a nice FOV when attached to the 200R, and the image was crisp and sharp.

My only criticism, was that the eye relief felt to bit small, but then I couldn't compare with a 26mm Series 4000.

Overall impression, a nice eyepiece with a good FOV, but optical quality, probably about the same as the Series 4000, and I've always been very happy with those.

Dave

My only criticism, was that the eye relief felt to bit small, but then I couldn't compare with a 26mm Series 4000.

Overall impression, a nice eyepiece with a good FOV, but optical quality, probably about the same as the Series 4000, and I've always been very happy with those.

Yes, that is their Achilles heel, at least with the 5.5 and 9mm. It doesn't effect me as I don't wear glasses, otherwise I'd probably look elsewhere.

One thing that can be said about the Series 5000 Super Plossls is that they are consistent - if you like one, you'll probably like them all. This can't be said for the Series 4000 Super Plossls, which are a mixed bag: The 15, 26 and 32mm are superb, the others are average. At least that's my experience.

Archived