Imaging advice-moon

Hi

I am about to do some imaging of the moon tonight on my C8N + DSLR. I dont plan to use any filters(coz I dont have any ;) . Can anyone suggest me how do I go about not hurting my eye. I thought of bringing the aperture down by using the cap provided by celestron which has a small opening that i can use.

Would handholding a polariser in front of the smaller aperture work?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Prasad

Light is good for imaging the moon, don't use a filter. Focussing through the DSLR focusser will reduce the brightness anyway.

The extra light will enable you to choose a lower ISO and a faster shutter speed. The lower ISO to get a smoother image and the faster speed to counteract the 'wobbling' of the moon due to the atmosphere.

Collect 10 or 15 images of the same object on the moon and stack them with the free program 'Registax'

You should get reasonable images provided you take care in focussing properly. It may only take you a few seconds to capture the image but it could take you 10 or 15 mins to get good focus first. Don't rush this part.

Good luck - hope it's clear.

MD

Thanks for the tips.One problem seems to be that I cannot see very well through the DSLR view finder because teh eye piece was way out of reach for me. My DSLR does not have a video port, but i think it is possible to shoot through my laptop. I will have to give it a try later on.

Regards,

Prasad

The viewfinder issue is a common one, that's why people tend to use Canons for this as they can be output to a laptop with the right software, meaning you dont have to be a contortionist to see in the viewfinder. You can also buy a right-angle viewer add-on for the eyepiece of your camera so that you can view it from above, much like scopes use normally. It makes life that bit easier for you.

Archived