Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed

Hi everybody ;) My new Orion 400 DOB Delux f/4 focal length 1600mm has not arrived yet :sad2: :sad3: but I would like some help, the eyepieces that are comming with it are 10mm 25mm super plossals and A FREE ONE size not known yet, can anybody give me some advice on the best size eyepiece for deep space stuff? also will I gain anything with Lanths? and is it possable to take pics of the :moon: :saturn: :jupiter: with a DOB?

Thats a lot to ask innit

Bernie

as always the eyepieces place the item closer or further away depending on the size you use. With the DSO stuff expect to see basically blobs, clusters show up nice and the more you look into them the more you tend to see. It is a bit hit and miss as to what would be best, it all depends on what view you prefer, a wide view is always IMHO a nice way to go as it gives some indication of the size of things, but something like the hercules cluster on a good night with a high powered eyepiece can give you hours of enjoyment, the longer you look the more you see, and as astroman always quite rightly mentions, moving the eye slowley into the object helps you to see better.

.... can anybody give me some advice on the best size eyepiece for deep space stuff? ...

The 25mm will be some use for Deep Space Objects (DSO's) but ideally you would want a longer focal length eyepiece as well. In the 1.25 inch fitting a 32mm plossl gives as wide a field of view as you can get (1 degree with your scope). For the more extended DSO's (eg: the Andromeda Galaxy) you will need to go up to 2 inch fitting eyepieces which can show a wider field of view ( I'm assuming that your scope comes with a focusser that accepts 2inch eyepieces which I can't imagine it won't ).

With an F4 scope, unless you are prepared to spend serious money, I would be cautious about using eyepieces labelled as wide field or ultra wide etc as they don't tend to work too well in very short focal length scopes (which yours is).

There is a Meade 56mm Plossl (2 inch EP) on Astro Buy & Sell at the moment for around £50 which will give you a field of view of nearly 2 degrees at 28x magnification which is should be pretty good in your scope and will give you just about the lowest power and widest field of view possible.

Others will have alternative suggestions as well no doubt ;)

John

I'll tell you what I can see with the Nagler Type 2 at 12mm that I am expecting. I have a 12" at f/5. That should give me the whole moon in the eyepiece and a bit to spare (39 arcminutes say the calculations). Your 25mm Plossl (Plossl are usually rated at 52 degrees) will give you 49 arcminutes of view with your 1600mm focal length.

The eyepieces I have are Meade 400 series 6.4mm, 9.7mm, 12.4mm, 15mm, 32mm & 40mm. All 1.25 I did not get them for my new scope!! I will try them anyway. I dont mind spending about £100 on one eyepiece because the scope cost £2536, so a bit more to get the best out of it is ok. ps Dont tell the wife. Q, what are we talking £.

With the scope being f4 you're going to have to spend a fair bit of money if you want widefield eyepieces. I use Hyperions in my f4.5 and they are great for the money, not perfect but the next step up in quaility is £££££.

Actually I was thinking, what about the Hyperion zoom EP? My wife picked up a Celestion zoom EP ages ago and I never used it until I bought the AZ3 mount for some grab & go action. It makes life a whole lot easier as you don't have to change EP's and all that entails, especially on a dob. Plus it's got that wide FOV and it's parfocal is it not? I would have thought it would be ideal for manual mounts such as Dobs...

Tony..

The eyepieces I have are Meade 400 series 6.4mm, 9.7mm, 12.4mm, 15mm, 32mm & 40mm. All 1.25 I did not get them for my new scope!! I will try them anyway.

I did not realise that you had these Meades when I made my earlier response to your post :oops:

Before rushing into anything new I would try them in your dob and see how they do - Those Meade's are not bad eyepieces and I'm not sure that the Hyperion zoom would do anything spectacularly better than they do - especially on DSO's (your original question) - zooms have lots of glass in them which can reduce contrast a little over simpler designs.

If I were in your postion I would wait until the big dob arrives, try your Meades out in it (they will almost certainly be better than the free super plossls you are getting with it), then re-assess things.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Archived