NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing DSO's with a full moon.

Ganymede12

What res do you use Lorne? I know pretty much all of them as i do a lot of Scottish Water work.

Cheers

Dave

Was Harperrig Reservoir that night, theres also a couple of guys (not me yet) use Harlaw Reservoir to the east.

Out of the Pentlands and further east still in the Lammermuir Hills, Whiteadder Reservoir gets used for observing too, probably our darkest site.

L.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant mate. Harperrigg is quite a good one mate, as too is harelaw. If you head a bit further south, there is a good res at badinsgill, but i have often thought about heading down to West Water res -- its a bit off the beaten track, but right up at the dam, there is a nice little carpark, which is sheltered by the hills to the north, but has a fairly decent view to the south, but more important - its in the middle of nowhere so LP should be minimal. If you guys are heading out to any of the res's, let me know as i wouldnt mind joining you all (if its ok with you all), and if the wife lets me escape that night depending on her work lol.

Whiteadder is a bit too far east for me, but i have been up there quite a lot for work (love the plughole overflow on the site)

I occasionally head down to dumfries and galloway forrest -- its out of this world!!!, but find i spend more time viewing with the naked eye rather than by the telescope its so good.

Camps res is another decent one not too far further west for your area, and a bit east of it is fruid res -- its really dark out there.

Dave

Was Harperrig Reservoir that night, theres also a couple of guys (not me yet) use Harlaw Reservoir to the east.

Out of the Pentlands and further east still in the Lammermuir Hills, Whiteadder Reservoir gets used for observing too, probably our darkest site.

L.

Archived