Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Depeche Moon

The Warthog

I went out tonight to grab a look at the Moon, and expecting to see the Straight Wall again. I was not disappointed in this, and had a view I haven't had before. The SW was lit at a very low angle, and casting a shadow beyond Birt, causing the top of Birt to light up like a ring in the darkness of the SW's shadow. The Straight Wall (Rupes Recta) itself is a very dark line, and more easy to see than I have ever seen it.

I'm going out later to see some more, when the Moon clears the tree to the southish of my scope. I'll add some more then.

When I went back outside, I'd waited too long, and the Moon was already behind the apple tree. ;)

It will be higher after we get past first quarter. At some point in any lunation, the Moon is in this southern part of its orbit. During the summer it's at full moon that this occurs, but in the winter it is at new moon. Right now, it is between new moon and first quarter, which is why it is hard to see this week. It will be gloriously high in midwinter, at full moon.

I like the spring, as the first half of the lunation is in the high part of the ecliptic, and the ecliptic is almost perpendicular to the horizon at sunset.

You in the UK are almost 10 degrees further north than I or Talitha, and probably 20 degrees further than Astroman. The Moon must have been practically invisible to you this week.

I live in the South Western corner of the UK (51N deg) so it's tantalisingly peeking above the horizon about 15 deg or so when at the meridian. I know what you mean about 'gods clever work' WH (please, no posts about views on religion!!!.. lets just say it's used as a figure of speech on this occasion). Quite fascinating how the moon's orbit is designed to light up the night's more effectively all over the globe in the Winter (when it's needed more) than in the summer.

Vega

No not ironic WH, just said it in that way hoping not to start one of those famous 200 page religious views threads. :wink: Don't wanna upset the Mods. ;)

Yeah even more so the sun/moon apparent size thing....a wonderful thing, we are honoured either way you look at it.

Vega

I was in a hurry again last night, but as the scope was still set up, it was no trouble to just move it to a good spot and get the moon in the FOV. The first thing that hits you right between the eyes is Copernicus, right in the middle of the terminator. When Galileo drew his moon, that big crater right in the middle had to be this one. The terminator had just cleared the crater, and the floor was still in deep shadow.

I was waiting for my buddy to show up and take me for a couple of beers, so I just popped in the 7.5mm (100x) ep. The view was clear, with little atmospheric disturbance, so everything was nicely sharp. At 100x, I wasn't ble to study the floor of Plato as closely as I want to, but there are some very interesting ridges along the terminator in the maria. Rupes Recta is still a nice dark pencil line, and Tycho is in full daylight, and really stands out among its neighbours, as they are mostly flattened out by the high sun already. I think it stands out because its still young. Kids! ;)

Tonight, I have to go to a boring house party, so I don't think I'll be doing any observing...

I took a quick look at the moon after I got in last night, albeit with a considerable amount of rocket fuel (Niagara Mist Chardonnay, I'm told) in me, but not feeling at all incapable, and put the scope on the Plato area, at about 230x. I was looking at the floor of Plato, to see if I could resolve any of the craterlets that are said to inhabit the floor, but I couldn't. Not enough power? How much power would I need?

The only time I've detected the main 4 craterlets was when the seeing was pretty steady. Notice I said 'detected' and not 'resolved'. All I managed to do was say 'yep, there they are'. :wink:

Good news, I just put the 90mm ETX out to cool. There's not much of a window of opportunity because of the lunar altitude and treetops, but even an hour's better than nothing. ;)

Archived