NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hotech laser collimator?

Steve

I'm currently using the 2" Ho-tech and a sight tube to align the secondary.

What's available to make sure the secondary is best aligned?

I was going to email you this question but hopefully you'll pick it up here and it will help others aswell.

:)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve

I'm currently using the 2" Ho-tech and a sight tube to align the secondary.

What's available to make sure the secondary is best aligned?

I was going to email you this question but hopefully you'll pick it up here and it will help others aswell.

:)

You already own everything necessary :smiley:

The sight tube is used first to ensure the secondary is centred, you can then use the laser to set the primary. It is an iterative process, you might need to set secondary-primary-secondary-primary... more than once until you have the optimum setting. Fortunately, once the secondary is set you don't often need to realign it.

(It is possible for a secondary to be rotated on axis yet still return a laser spot, hence the need for a sight tube).

HTH

My own experience in collimating is that the focuser adapter (1.25 to 2") is the most likely culprit in gross misalignment. My own procedure (and frequency of use) is this:

1) 2" Sight tube used to center the secondary under the focuser. Perform this step when optics have been remounted after cleaning or coating.

2) 2" Cheshire to adjust primary. Perform only when step 1 was necessary.

3) Hotech laser collimator in 2" mode only to adjust the primary. The adapter in my Feathertouch focuser is not sufficiently tight. Always perform this step.

4) 2" Cheshire to confirm primary adjustment made using the Hotech. Always perform this step. Rarely needs a small tweak.

5) 2" Auto-collimator to adjust secondary. Always perform this step.

This procedure works extremely well for me. I use an auto-collimator to fine tune the secondary alignment because I am using an f/4.5 mirror that produces excellent images. I want the best performance possible on double stars and planets.

My husband also uses the Hotech to collimate an f/6 reflector for photography. He has had excellent performance with the Hotech.

We verified the Hotech's collimation when it was new, and have been pleased with it. If it breaks or otherwise needs replacing, we will likely go with one of the Glatter devices, although I would not hesitate to get another Hotech.

I wish you the best with your quest,

- Phyllis

• 3 years later...

Archived