Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrotrac - HEQ 5 legs?

swlloyd3

I was just wondering if anybody has used HEQ5 legs to mount their astrotrac?

If so what tripod head can you use? I was going to go for something like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-460MG-3-Way-Magnesium-Head/dp/B0002O74PS/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1348385955&sr=8-25

Good price and reviews but not sure if it's appropriate?

If I can use my HEQ5 legs for mounting a tripod head I don't mind stretching the budget for the head to around £200 but If I have to buy the legs that that budget comes down quite a bit!

Ste.

I use my NEQ6 legs to mount my astrotrac. I am not sure that the head you have chosen is the best to use. I use a 405 geared head and the polar aligning is a doddle. Geared heads however are not cheap. I did buy one of the 460MG 3 way heads to go on top of the astrotrac to ease the pointing of the camera as my ball head would creep during an exposure. It did work but isn't the most convenient thing in the world to operate, so eventually I splashed out on the junior geared head which works a treat.

I think you will find that the 460mg head is not easy to use - little fine control. However if you are still thinking of getting one I may well be selling mine.

Dave

Thanks dave,

Would you suggest that the junior geared head is not good enough to use as the tripod head on which to mount the astrotrac?

I wouldn't mind too much buying that and using my ball head manfrotto or even the 460MG as the camera mount?

Ste.

When I bought my astrotrac, I already had the 405 head. A club member friend of mine uses the 410 geared head for both below and above the astrotrac with no problem, so I guess the answer is yes the junior head would be good enough. It may depend on how heavy your camera and lens is.

Dave

Excellent that's just the kind of info I'm after :smiley:

I guess my lens/camera combo will be pretty light to be honest as it will be mainly used with Canon photography lenses and not heavy astronomical refractor's etc...

Cheers again!

Ste.

Archived