Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Refractor and DSLR?

I've got a Bresser Skylux 70x700 Refractor on an EQ3 mount and a Philips Toucam Pro II and have got some pretty nice close ups of the moon. I'm looking to buy a DSLR for general use but was thinking about one suitable for astrophotography. The thing is I wasn't sure if the scope I've got would be suitable for planetary and/or deep space shots. What do you all think? I'm guessing a reflector would be a better choice for deep space.

In simple terms present scope is of little use.

If you buy a reflector will it be for visual or AP?

You can pick for one but not both.

You are looking at a mount like an HEQ5, then you put a good short scope on it, not a great big reflector, unless you get a bigger mount like EQ6.

Reflectors are good for Deep Space with eyes, you are going to be using a camera, back to the question do you really want AP or visual. Don't translate Good for Eyes = Good for AP.

I am not into imaging but oddly have a set up that could be used for it: HEQ5, WO GT81, Flattener, DSLR.

The GT-81 was £700, the flattener was £130, HEQ 5 is presently £550, Timer for Camera £25.

You can set up an imaging system for less but it would be a case of starting small and if you became more serious replacing every item. I am thinking of say EQ5, WO 70 and DSLR. Skywatcher do a flattener for around £60-70 that may be OK for the WO-70.

Going serious would mean upgrade mount, then scope, then get a CCD, keep the 70 as a guide scope for the guide system that you would add in.

It is best to consider AP and visual as seperate aspects, there are some overlap but the approach is different.

For visual you want a large scope to collect light for the eye.

In AP you want a large mount to keep the imaging system stable and accurate.

For visual you need to collect the light, in AP you take a longer or more exposures - light collection is not immediatly important as other things can be done to achieve it.

Sit down and look a bit more into it all, to go wrong can be costly.

You could certainly give it a go, but I think you'd struggle with the mount, and the slow speed of the optics (f/10, takes a long time to build up the image). The focal length is ok though...

I'd suggest firstly, if you're wanting to try AP, get a copy of http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html.

Then, you could buy a dSLR kit, the 18-55 IS lens is pretty good, mount that on top of the EQ mount, without the scope, and give it a try. A generic timer remote from ebay won't break the bank and makes it all much easier. Any you get a decent camera for everyday use to ;). Canon is better supported in software for Astro use, so perhaps something like the 1100d.

Look at http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/ for new prices, or you could look for second hand... http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/ are good.

Archived