Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter from early September 16

skfboiler

Early Sunday morning, I managed to image
for the first time. I placed the camera w/adapter inside my 2x
. Therefore, with my 26.8mm diagonal sensor, the magnification is 56x. I captured a 4 min movie of Jupiter. I used the digital zoom feature of the camera to enlarge the image. I think I may have gotten too greedy with the 5x zoom. I'll try 3x zoom the next time. Then converted the .mov file to .avi with Canon's ZoomBrowser
. I aligned and stacked in Registax. Then atempted to post-process in Canon's Digital Professional and Gimp; not knowing at all what I'm doing in either, but gave it a shot.

Early Sunday morning, I managed to image
for the first time. I placed the camera w/adapter inside my 2x
. Therefore, with my 26.8mm diagonal sensor, the magnification is 56x. I captured a 4 min movie of Jupiter. I used the digital zoom feature of the camera to enlarge the image. I think I may have gotten too greedy with the 5x zoom. I'll try 3x zoom the next time. Then converted the .mov file to .avi with Canon's ZoomBrowser
. I aligned and stacked in Registax. Then atempted to post-process in Canon's Digital Professional and Gimp; not knowing at all what I'm doing in either, but gave it a shot.

post-14298-0-97928500-1347923486_thumb.j

That's a nice reward for all your efforts! I've not seen many images captured using the movie setting on a DSLR - looks like there is plenty you can get out of it. Did you use the wavelet settings in Registax?

The image also looks a little overexposed so the lighter bands are a little blown out. Can you control the exposure when recording a video?

I played with the wavelet settings in Registax. If you set the reord mode to manual you can change the ISO. I had it set at ISO 800. Perhaps I'll try ISO 400 next time. The lighter bands may have been blown out while adjusting the curves.

Archived