Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How To Polar Align Without Polaris

Hey guys - total noobie here. I am about to invest in my first scope and mount (Celestron C9.25 on a CG-5 GO TO). This may be a stupid and/or premature question (apologies if this is the case) but here goes:

The mount has celestrons 'All Star Polar Align' system to aid with aligning and to make the goto system work. What happens in the event that I can't get a fix on polaris for whatever reason?

Will it be like Celestrons 'Sky Align' system where 'any bright star will do' or does it have to go off polaris?

Appeciate this is probably explained in the kits instructions but I am trying to figure out how easy this rig will be for a noobie to set up ahead of purchase. Does anyone have any practical experience of All Star Polar Align that can offer some input?

Many thanks as ever :)

I can't help sorry, but what I can say is, that before buying my mount and scope I must have read every review I could find and watched every YouTube video on setup etc.

Now I'm not saying you haven't, but just in case I thought I'd bring it to your attention because you can learn a lot of good and bad from the reviews. Hopefully you'll find something on YT as the manufacturer usually stick some on there. Good luck!

i think you can align with two or even better three stars to triangulate position. or something along those lines. ive not used a go to system , but many talk of three star alignment with well known stars. so i assume its to triangulate your scopes location ect. you should get a better explanation soon :confused:

Archived