Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is long term telescope storage really harmfull?

inspectapart

Hi all, i read in September edition of S&N that long term storage without use of a scope can cause problems with grease in drives and gears etc. Has anyone had this experience?

I have had a celestron 8" cpc xlt stored and boxed in original boxes in my loft for 2 years without use and I am now wondering if I should be be worried about it`s condition. I know it`s a disgrace to not use this scope but I have my reasons, and other scopes that I do use.

Just how much damage do you think this storage may cause?

Bob

The grease will deteriorate, I suspect that in use the grease is "mixed" regularily, when stored the volitile bits can disappear so it becomes thick.

Condensation is another, any small dropletts in the system will sit and over time cause problems.

Refractors can actually grow a mould that wrecks them, think I have seen similar reports on mirrors.

All you can do it anticipate it.

Not a lot to do about the grease as you could strip and put a better on in now or strip and put a better one in when you use it again. No real difference.

Condensation - use the dessicant packs, a lot of them not 1 or 2 try 10 or 20.

Mould, suspect the dessicant will help on this, otherwise not sure. Do some research on the web.

Just seen that the scope is stored.

Lofts can change temperature significantly, would guess that the grease is the most likely to give troubles, if any. Stored in the original boxes will help as these will isolate the scope from a lot of the outside world.

One bit to be aware of is that grease is a thick material but not a solid, a viscous liquid, it will flow with gravity and over time will flow off of the motors, gears and cogs.

Archived