Basic focusing problems.

Trying to take some basic Star field / star trail photos. Using a Sony alpha 200 on a normal tripod. The problem is the camera does not have a live view function and I can see nothing through the view finder even though the skies are dark enough to see andromeda with the naked eye. This makes focusing impossible.

Is it just a question of trial and error or is there an easier way to get focus?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

As I have a crusty old - pre live view Canon DSLR I have the same problem. I agree is pretty much impossible to do through the viewfinder.

I personally hook the camera up to the laptop and use that to control the camera and review images as I go. I have the electric focusser on a long lead so I can change the focus by tiny amounts at a time and take another image whilst only looking at the laptop. It's painfull but it's all I know. I'd be interested if anyone has any alternatives.

Edit to say this is when I am using the camera attached to the scope, not on its own. But you could do the same and manual adjust the focus on the camera between shots.

Archived