Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Cygnus Streaker.

Hello all,

I've been an avid reader of SGL for a while now and finally branched out to astrophotography. I'm about a novice as anyone can be. My equiptment is a Canon EOS 550D, and a Celestron AstroMaster 130MD on an EQ2 Tripod. I know the EQ2 is not good for imaging but at the moment all I am doing to roughy polar aligning it, piggybacking the Canon with either the kit 18-55mm lens or the nifty fifty 50mm f1.8 lens.

On Friday evening at aroung 22:00 I was imaging away, capturing Cygnus on the 50mm and when I reviewed what I had, I noticed a bright (very bright) streak like a fireball in one of the images. The images preceding the one attached shows a faint streak approaching Sadr (Deneb is in the top left) but as it gets close to Sadr it intensifies.

I've looked to see if it was an iridium flare but none occured in Cygnus and at that time. Checking Stellarium show no bright satelitles in the area. So before I dance around believing it was a meterorite, can some one please let me know if they saw it too and what it was. My location is South Birmingham.

Apologies for the bad quality of the image.

Thanks

post-24341-0-58463600-1347185571_thumb.j

I too noticed things like this in the sky. I too thought satellite, but it went a bit too fast and a bit too bright, in my opinion. It suddenly appeared, flared up, and then about a second later carried on a small [removed word] of light in the night sky. I lost site of it behind the houses and trees after a few seconds.

Archived