Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Pro Mak 180

Thanks for that John (and thanks for the welcome).

I guess my real concern is the dovetail within the tube. I have a Skywatcher 200 and in the main, I am happy with it, certainly can't object to the price. The areas that let it down are the focusser and the Rubbish finder mounting. (I see that the finder mounting on the Mak is very similar).

I am tempted to buy this with HEQ5 (can't afford an EQ6 sadly :-( ) and sell my existing EQ5. I'll keep both OTA's but probably modify the MAK to stiffen up the dovetail junction if that is feasible.

Regards

Martyn

Hi Gaz,

Thanks for the info and the welcome. I have my Skywatcher 200 for DSO objects, but I need something with a longer focal ratio for lunar and planetary work (which I am getting more interested in).

I am also considering the Celestron Advanced Series C8-SGT (XLT). Slightly more expensive and with GOTO, but the mount looks rather like the EQ-5 and I think I need something more rugged, especially for higher magnifications. Do you know if this have the same dovetail as the EQ/HEQ mounts?

Regards

Martyn

Yep Martyn its the same dovetail as the HEQ5 and EQ6, those are the two mounts I use my 180 Mak with. IMHO (puts tin hat on!! ;)) the 180mm Mak is a far better visual planetary scope than a 200mm SCT (I've owned both), the views are much sharper in the Mak and low contrast detail is much more evident. I think you're right to go for the HEQ5 over a EQ5 class mount, its better to overmount a scope esp if you intend using the high magnifications needed for planetary work.

Archived