NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

how to tell the difference with EQ mounts

So I still have my skymax 127 and I still have nothing to mount it on, Still cant afford £200 on a mount so I am shopping for bargains. But bargains dont come listed on the 1st page of google.

So I know a EQ1 will be useless a EQ2 will just cut it but I really need a EQ3-2

but with out having a giant price take on it how can I tell which is which by looking at photos or aseeing them on a car boot??

i just done know :confused:

In amateur astronomy, you get what you pay for is almost always true. Very cheap 'bargain' often equates to low quality junk that would turn out to be useless and you will eventually have to spend more to buy what you originally wanted. In the end, it would cost you more than just buying the original equipment in the first go.

What is your budget? A new EQ3-2 cost £175.

I sold my Synta EQ4 for around £100 earlier this year, so you should look in the second hand market if you are on a tight budget. Keep looking at Astrobuysell, sometimes real bargain do appear, but they also disappear very quickly.

To answer your original question, you can have a look in the Optical vision website

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes/mountings/sky-watcher

EQ1, EQ2, has exposed worm gears and thin axial that has much smaller diameter than worm wheel. - not worth buying

EQ3-2 - Enclosed worm, the diameter of the RA axis is similar to the worm wheel. RA worm and manual slow motion is positioned above the RA axis. Minimum for 127

EQ4 - (Early model EQ5). Looks very similar on the outside, but has box aluminium tripod and lower quality bearings.

EQ5 - (Clone of Vixen GP) enclosed worm, usually comes with RA motor housing as standard. RA worm and manual slow-mo is fitted below the RA axis.

HEQ5 - Down scale version of EQ6. Enclosed drive train, pre installed motors for both axis. Large motor housing on DEC axis.

EQ6 - (Clone of Tak EM200) Big, heavy, enclosed drive train, pre installed motors for both axis. Large motor housing on DEC axis.

In your case, you look for a used EQ3-2, EQ4 or EQ5. You can also consider the Vixen SP mount. Most SP are over 20 years old but they're usually quite cheap on the used market.

With the 127 I would say the EQ3 is the least you should go for if you want auto-tracking. It is not perfect but it is stable enough and works well. It is what I use and while I am fighting Backlash issues in all other respects it seems good.

If you are not considering auto tracking then I would personally be tempted by a solid but simple Alt-Az as it is just so much more logical to use as a "point and go"

Archived