Maxbright binoviewer collimation

Stu

I've posted elsewhere about my fun getting these to work with my 106mm refractor but now have a specific question.

I have got them working nicely with two Celestron 25mm X-CEL LX ep's and a x1.7 GPC, all seems well with this. However, when I try the two 7mm BGO's I've got, the collimation is out. I can reach focus, and the magnification is ok but I wondered if anyone else has had similar problems?

There is one more adjustment I can try which involves loosening the screws which hold the ep holders and seeing it this gives enough adjustment.

Any tips or comments welcomed. BGO's bought at different times but doubt the spec has changed?

Cheers

Stu

Hello Stu.

Yes, I've had similar problems in the past. It appears that eyepieces are not always quite the same albeit of the same make, type and focal length. Swapping higher power eyepieces from one side to the other often produced different collimation appearances to the point where I labelled them L and R. I also found that if I collimated the binoviewrs with the highest power that was going to be used then the collimation of the lower power pairs seemed to be reasonable. :smiley:

Thanks very much Peter, that is reassuring at least. I suspect the views with the 25mm ep's will always be easier but I'll have a go at collimating them with the BGO's and see what happens. I'll try your trick of swapping ep's too.

Many thanks for your reply.

Stu

Archived