Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Noctilucent clouds taken tonight?

I think I've managed to capture some more Noctilucent clouds taken tonight at 7:25 although I'm no expert at these. You can see an airliner's vapour trail in a couple of the pictures so these clouds must be very high. I did take some quite decent shots of thse back in June but these are lacking the same sort of detail.

Untitled-1.jpg?t=1346961331

IMG_3008_stitchA.jpg

IMG_3004_stitchA.jpg

IMG_3000_stitchA.jpg

IMG_2996_stitchA.jpg

It looks like NC but are those really NC? :confused: It looks like it's a bit too late in the year and too early in the day (I see Sun glow at the bottom of the pics)? What about orientation in the sky? You expect to see NCs in the northern skies.

Sorry but these are not noctilucent clouds,you only get them after the sun has set and only when the sun is between 6 to 16 degrees below the horizon.

Noctilucent means night shining so you never get them during daylight hours.You get them between 50 and 70 degrees North usually although the band they are seen in keeps widening

with ones reported further north and south oveer the last few years.

Ah well I weren't really sure, I did think they looked a bit like them when I looked out the window although they were still quite high up looking at the vapour trails. If they can only be viewed looking Northwards then at least I know, Although I did manage to capture them earlier in the year so quite happy with achieving that.

Archived