NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The things you learn

gliderpilot

I always learn something new on every observing run. That's what's so great about this hobby, there always new things to see and use. Well this night proved to be very memorable.

Last night (Monday 3 September) was clear but hazy over Salisbury. That being said, it was one of those nights where only the brighter stars were visible to the naked eye. A thin layer or cirrus was lit up the rising Moon but what the heck, I had not been outside for ages. I love observing at this time of year, still warm and clear at a relatively reasonable hour.

Anyway, I walked out to my shed. The kids had been outside (teacher training day) and had left their paddling pool by the observatory. I unlocked the shed, and rolled the roof back.

I then had a very chilled out hour or so of observing with my APM binos at x30 and x60. The haze was enough to make me not bother making a sketch it was just a pleasure to be outside looking at the stars. I hoovered up the usual suspects of messiers and NGCs in Orphiucus, Cygnus and Cassiopeia enjoying the widefield of view filled with stars.

At 11-ish, the moon had risen sufficiently high to catch it. The sight of the terminator approaching the edge of Mare Crisum and the tremendous views of the basin mountains are always a pleasure to see. Of course, its important to look at the moon last in an observing session. Looking at the bright moon with two eyes through the binoscope completely ruined my night vision rendering what little I could see through the haze to be now invisible.

It's now late, work in the morning so I pack up and lock up the shed. Walking back to the house, now with no night vision, I walk straight into the kids paddling pool that had been so conveniently left out. This wasn't walk into it was a proper "step in over the side with both feet" experience. wet feet oh well at least it was the end of the session rather the start.

Lesson learned in this wonderful hobby: check for obstacles before you lose your night vision!!

Clear skies,

Mark

As soon as you mentioned the pool, alarm bells began to ring in my head. I had visions of some of your gear being sent for an early (or late as it was) bath. Glad it was only your feet that got wet.

When i am packing up for the night i always do so under a red light. This allows me to keep my dark adapted vision until i get inside the house. If i packed up under normal white light then tried to get into the house i'd most likely end up in the flower bed with my wheelchair ontop of me.

Archived