Stacking solar tiff images in Registax

JamesF

I have a set of 60 white light solar images I took yesterday using my 450D. They were full colour RAW files, but I've converted them to greyscale TIFF. They seem to display fine and even the thumbnails look ok in selection windows, but neither Registax v5 or v6 will load them correctly. Once the files are loaded I just seem to get a white screen (and I have scrolled to the corners to check that I'm not just seeing the middle of the Sun :)

If I load the files as JPEG images then both versions seem to copy fine, but I'd much prefer to work with the TIFFs.

Any hints on making Registax happy? Or is its TIFF-handling just a bit NAFF?

James

I always stack JPEG in Registax as it either does as you describe or blows up on insufficient memory (or stacks that looked as if every sub was NOT aligned!!!). I spent hours playing with all sorts of formats and decided that, if only to retain my sanity, JPEG was the way forward for full disc Solar and Lunar imaging.

Perhaps the files are just too big still or something. Do you have any handy that you can check the sizes of, Steve? My initial CR2 files are about 11MB. Converted to colour TIFF they're 63MB and then the greyscale TIFF images are 21MB. I really wasn't expecting the CR2 files to be smallest, I have to admit. I wonder if ImageMagick is not doing a great job of the conversion to TIFF.

James

Archived