NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I can't find Polaris

Hi All

Well I thought I had figured out my HEQ5 pro synscan, I polar aligned it and then moved the heat through 180 degrees and polaris stayed dead center of the small polaris circle. I then did a 2 staralignment and that was sucessfull.

I looked at different objects and most were at least in the view finder if not centered, however when I asked it to point to the moon it was way off and when I asked it to go to polaris it was in the edge of the viewfinder and no matter how I tried to tweek it using the control buttons it would not center the star in viewfinder or eye piece. Is this normal or have I done something wrong.

Still getting used to the HEQ5 but enjoying every minute of it.

Cheers..

With an equatorial mount Polaris is going to be in the "polar hole", where it's hard to point the scope because it takes a huge movement in right ascension to accomplish a small adjustment in telescope pointing. (On alt-az mounts the equivalent is the zenith hole.) I don't know if that has anything to do with the issues.

Assuming all the input parameters are 100% correct - make sure you use the PAE on first half a dozen objects - that helps. And use a higher magnification when establishing polar alignment - it can look dead center at 25mm but the minute you pop an 8mm in it's gone way over to the lens edge or completely off it :)

Archived