NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Great observing sites in and around Stoke-on-Trent

thegreendruid

Stoke is well within driving distance of some great dark sky areas such as the peak district and shropshire. I don't get the dark I need in my back garden unfortunately (my neighbour insists on leaving all the lights on in their house throughout the night and street lights cause problems too!)

So, my question is: Where are some great observing spots within a short drive from Stoke-on-Trent?

I was wondering if anyone had done observing from Apedale country park (I believe you can access the park 24hrs) as it is nice and high up and quite close to where I live. There is certainly some light pollution, but there are no houses within 1/2 a mile of the carpark

Perhaps also Mow Cop? Again quite high up, but hard to get away from headlights from the road that leads up

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure others would love hear of any places you know of too!

A friend at Mow Cop reckons it's terrible for seeing. Something to do with aircraft turbulance. Have a look at the map in my signature - there are a few local spots on there. I'm about a dozen miles outside Stoke and I still get the skyglow. I think East and as far into the Peak District as you can get is probably the best idea. I'm a couple of miles from the Peaks and still get Stoke skyglow.

• 2 weeks later...

you need to get some hills between you and stoke,and going towards that cheshire plain aint gonna help...past leek,Grindon or Butterton..much,much better.i'm due a visit there soon pm me if you wanna buddie-up!

• 2 weeks later...

In the early days of my astronomy I tried mow cop and its not very good at all you've got the glow from all round and with that dissapointment I drove to the peak district the same night around the areas of Buxton and Bakewell and still wasnt impressed. People seem to think because its in the middle of nowhere it should be good but I wasnt impressed, youve got the sky glow from Manchester, Stoke and even small old Leek. Mayby their might be pockets that im not aware off but i would rather venture more in the direction of shropshire and Wales even if its an hour or so drive.

Archived