Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" filter adapter

I have a 1.25" UHC filter which I've had for years which I now use with this adapter and I place the filter in the 2" adapter of the focuser body. This saves me having to swap the filter between eyepieces during viewing. I use mostly 1.25" eyepieces with the longest f/l eyepiece having a field stop of 21mm, and I also use a 28mm 2" nirvana which has a field stop of 43mm.

I'm now looking to buy an oiii filter and would like to know if there are any disadvantages to buying a 1.25" version and using it with the filter adapter compared to buying a more expensive 2" version. In particular I'm wondering if the narrower 1.25" filter will partly block the light when using the wider 2" nirvana?

Yes, it will block the light partially. The full field of your 2" 28mm 82 degree eyepiece will not be fully illuminated - it will be as if the field stop has been reduced to about 30 mm which is about the equivalent of approx a 60 degree 28mm eyepiece I reckon.

Archived