Help setting up my goto

Hi all I am looking to set up the goto on my Dob 250px I am a little unsure were to start and have heard the instruction manual is not the best.

Is there anywhere I can find a simple set up guide For the goto aspect the scope is fully built its just advice on the goto I need. Thanks

Hi Michael,

I find it straightforward.

1) First of all level scope as best as possible

2) Switch on. Go past warnings.

3) Enter data for latitude and longitude. in Warrington, longitude will be W.

4) Enter time as accurately as possible.

5) Use a 32mm eyepiece or similar (25mm if you haven't got one.

6) Choose 2 star alignment. Choose first star. Move telescope manually until star is in eyepiece. Select OK and centre star accurately.

7) Choose second star. Telescope will slew to star.

8) Centre second star.

9) Job done!

Simon

Hi,

I'm not familiar with this particular scope but if it is anything like the GoTo on standard AltAz Skty-Watchers then I used to do the following with my old Mak 127...

Get the base as level as possible

Turn on the handset and after the disclaimer blah blah about not pointing the telescope towards the sun etc you should get a question like ...Begin Alignment Y/N?

Choose Yes (obviously) and enter your Long. & Lat. (easy enough to find on internet for your location) Make sure you get these the right way around!

Enter time and date in US format (MM/DD/YYYY)

GMT time +/- 0

Daylight saving 'Yes' (for now)

When you get the prompt to choose alignment method, choose from 'Brightest star'/ '2 star'/'3 star'. (I always used to use 3 star to help the pointing accuracy).

The handset should say something like 'choose first alignment star' and will suggest something like Vega or Arcturus at this time of year. You can scroll through the alignment stars with the up/down arrow buttons at the bottom of the handset but I only ever use a suggested star unless the scope cannot physically see it because of a building or tree etc.

Use something like a 32mm or 20 mm eyepiece and center the star in the f.o.v. with the handset directional keys. Change to something like a 15mm and re center using the handset again. I then use a 9mm to get the star as close to dead center as possible.

When happy, select OK on the handset.

At this point I check that my finderscope is spot on before I go for the second star.

Repeat the above process for the second (and possibly third star).

You should get a handset message saying 'Alignment Successful' at the end.

The accuracy of the GoTo can vary a little depending on Mount/Scope/Manufacturer but should get your chosen object at least in the f.o.v. and although this all sounds a lot of bother and fuss it is worth it. With a little practice the above can be done in just a couple of minutes.

Please forgive me if I have not got the instructions 100% accurate but I am typing this from memory. This should give you the general idea.

Hope it helps

Regards Tony

The manual for my Skywatcher says to start with the OTA horizontal and pointing North. Ensuring that your base is level before doing any if this also helps.

So BEFORE doing alignment I find Polaris and centre it in my eyepiece. Then I use the down arrow until the OTA is level (and I use a builder's level for this). Now I turn the power off and wait for a few seconds.

THEN I turn the power on and start the alignment process as described above.

HI,

Due to limited views I sometimes need to choose the star, here’s a list of all the stars in the handset and the maps. I agree with Tony, I go from a 24mm down to 6.5mm to get the alignment as accurate as possible to start with, this will defiantly help to get objects in the FOV when searching. I’ve never set the scope to North on start up, best go read the manual :grin:

Good luck

Paul

SkyScan_Alignment_Stars.pdf

The manual for my Skywatcher says to start with the OTA horizontal and pointing North. Ensuring that your base is level before doing any if this also helps.

So BEFORE doing alignment I find Polaris and centre it in my eyepiece. Then I use the down arrow until the OTA is level (and I use a builder's level for this). Now I turn the power off and wait for a few seconds.

THEN I turn the power on and start the alignment process as described above.

yes but you also posted this does not work ???

yes but you also posted this does not work ???

I posted that I have an alignment problem.

My chipboard dobsonian mount has warped and this has messed up the clutch friction. I had eased the friction to allow easier movement but it still isn't right. So I'm trying to find out from other dob users if that drift when you first acquire the second star is normal or if I still have work to do on the friction.

My results ARE better if I start as I described above - just not good enough yet.

Archived