help pls ext ls 8" meade not responding

Today i attempted to update my telescope using the autostar updater software that came with the telescope it failed half way through download and the handbox froze. i left for some time and it did not change so i had no choice but to turn it off and back on now the handbox displays nothing. it does not start talking in its usual way it also it wont move at all when i attempt to use it in the normal way is there a way of a hard reset or am i going to have to take it back from wence it came.

You could try joining the Meade 4M forum for advice but this might only make you more depressed if you read some of the posts on this scope on the other hand you might

feel lucky this is your only problem

Dave

Telescope House are the Meade importers in the UK. They are very helpful when contacted, how about an email or phone call to them ?

A clubmate of mine got an 8" LS from Scopes n Skies, but TH sorted it when he had problems.

Hope you find a solution, Ed.

only constructive help and info wanted sarcasim not welcom

Sorry wasn't really being sarcastic there really have been a lot of problems with this scope and many helpfull people on Meade forum.

As said Telescope House will fix it and you're probably better off owning this scope in the UK as USA customers have to send their scopes to Mexico to get them fixed.

Weasner also font of knowledge on all things Meade.

Hope you get it fixed, let us know how you get on.

Dave

ok so i tried everything i could and nothing worked had to take it back to the shop and am waiting for a report on how much this stupid mistake is going to cost. but thanks to all who tried to help

ok so i tried everything i could and nothing worked had to take it back to the shop and am waiting for a report on how much this stupid mistake is going to cost. but thanks to all who tried to help

Sorry to hear this. If you are so unhappy with the scope, and it is not performing as it should, you could go for a refund perhaps.

There have been 3 Meade LS scopes in my club. 2 were so much hassle that both these got a full refund from TH. The third is going ok the last I heard.

The main issue was acquiring the GPS signal, which was a puzzle, as other GPS technology works fine. Telescope House were exemplary in offering help.

Hope you sort this to your satisfaction, Ed.

Meade downloads were produced when PC's had a serial port on them. Then USB came along and it isn't quite the same. There are "converters" but reports and history would indicate that they are not 100% compatible.

It would certainly be sensible for Meade, and the others, to revisit their downloader(s) and make them for a USB interface.

Was there a problem with the previous formware that was on the handset?

I ask as there is the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Would be useful if a retailer offered an Update Service, as in send them the handset and £20 and they took care of it all.

At our club, I too hear what Ed reports: a lot of these Meade SCTs have recurrent issues with electronics and also with gearing. It's crazy: they were (I don't know if they still are) selling heavy 14" SCTs with plastic gearing. It's such a problem, that people have been able to make a living selling after-market metal gears: http://www.buytelescopes.com/Manufacturer/171-peterson-engineering.aspx

If you're not particularly wedded to the scope and a refund is possible then go for it. Whatever you decide, I'm sure TH will sort it out for you.

It would certainly be sensible for Meade, and the others, to revisit their downloader(s) and make them for a USB interface.

Would be useful if a retailer offered an Update Service, as in send them the handset and £20 and they took care of it all.

Think you'll find even the latest Meade scopes still don't have USB interface, also in some Meade scopes the computer is in the sope base not the hand controller.

Dave

my scope dose have a usb port both usb a and usb b ports but i found out that when using the updater on the scope i should update to a sd card and then just pop it in the slot it automatically updates from the sd card. my problem actually only occured because half way through the download my pc crashed if i had used the previously unknown sd card way of doing things it would not be a problem what theas telescopes actually need is a fully coprehensive instruction manually (switch on sit back and enjoy my ass)

Archived