Tal-1 Help

Hey folks, just got a Tal-1 scope (first scope) a few days ago and set it up ok.

Managed to collimate it (i think), eveything seems centred, the primary mirror just needed a little moving.

Only have one problem, i think its called the 'latitude lock lever' i cant seem to move this, I have some photos to help.

The lever doesnt budge at all, do I need to loosen the bolt in the photo's to solve this? The bolt/screw at the back (2nd photo) is really tight too though which is a pain.

Cheers! :)

post-25061-0-78644500-1345639737_thumb.j

post-25061-0-12002000-1345639742_thumb.j

post-25061-0-48884600-1345639744_thumb.j

I haven't had my hands on one of these for a very long time. So hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along shortly.

In the absence of better advice. Tap the lever anticlockwise using a mallet, or hammer with block of wood for padding, or just a block of wood.

If a gentle tap doesn't shift it, think again.

Shocks often loosen bolts better than fixed pressure.

I had a Tal 1, great scope.

You could try a longer piece of tube on the lever. You could tape the lever first to avoid damage to the paint. The tube will give more leverage, so you won't need to retighten it the by the same method, perhaps that's what the previous owner did :embarrassed: I don't think you need to loosen the other bolts, just the long lever.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

I think David's idea in post #2 may be better than mine because you are more likely to have a hammer and piece of wood in the shed

than a suitable piece of tubing, but either method should hopefully work.

Perhaps let us know how you get on.

Regards, Ed.

I would try and introduce a little release agent such as turps or paraffin before attempting anything more forcefull, the aluminium housings tend to corrode over time and you could damage something if you are not carefull.

Yep. Set for your latitude.

Are the two parts made of different metals? You might have had a spot of corrosion if the scope has been left for ages.

A tiny bit of lubricant wouldn't go amiss. I mean a tiny bit. pretend it's a gold/platinum paste mix you are applying.

It can actually be car grease, silicone grease or old fashioned vaseline. Or even a drop or two of lubricating oil.

Grease tends to stay where it is put. Oil can run onto other things.

I think it's just because it old and was abit stiff, its in new condition, but its the older tal-1 version so its been sitting in a box for ages.

Hopefully clear skies tonight, I'll try and get to grips with the movements.

Cheers for the help.

Archived