NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spotting scope becomes Finder scope

saturn5

I have been planning getting a skywatcher short tube refractor to use as a finder scope.

I use Meade spotting scope for bird watching and it is of reasonable quility http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/meade/telescope/spotting-scope/kestrel-80mm.html

I have used it before on a tripod to look at star fields and the views were superb so i'm now

going to machine an adaptor to connect it to the ota tube rings,or do you think i would be better off

getting a short tube,its just that i think the spotting scope would be better quility optically. :scratch:

When or if i get it done i'll post a piccie of it,unless it looks carp.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's the piccies of my latest project.Made the tube rings and mounting bar out of aluminium,profiled the tube rings on the milling machine at work,all screws are made of black nylon as is the nuts that are holding the mounting plate to the main scope tube rings.

Gave it a couple of coats of black acrylic spray paint just to finish it off.

Archived