Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using my EOS400D with an ETX70AT

littlebrownjug

Not had my ETX70AT out for a while and i was considering using it in conjunction with my 400D to take some nice shots of the moon etc, where can i get an adaptor to connect camera to scope?

Also any suggestions as to best settings on the camera would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Considering that the 400d will likely weigh as much, if not more than the ETX70 tube itself, would there not be potential balancing/overloading of the mount issues here?

For moon and planetary shots, maybe a small webcam (such as a TouCam) would be more suitable?

Cheers,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Yes you'll need a T-ring for canon autofocus mount and a Meade #64ST T Adaptor for Meade ETX 70/80, you may also need a T extender tube depending on whether there is anough focus travel on the scope.

What ever you do dont get one of the cheap T rings off ebay as they just arent man enough for the job when conecting to a scope, they are only designed to hold light weight lenses, not support the weight of the camera.

I would recommend the astro engineering ones, I have never had any issues with mine.

You will also need a remote lead for the camera, preferably one that allows you to lock the switch for longer exposures.

If your only doing moon shots at 125th sec shutter speed you can get away with just setting the camera's self timer,use the delay setting though so shake is minimised.

For moon shots its worth setting the autobracket function on the camera so you get one shot at the set exposure, then 1 shot with slightly longer exposure and one with slightly shorter exposure.

This site might help with a guide to exposures, remember you have effectively and F5 lens when you connect the camera to the scope so you will need to adjust the exposures accordingly.

http://dpfwiw.com/moon.htm

Archived