hi all, please help

I have a mead ext Ls 8" scope and it came with autostar suite and i have tried linking the scope with my pc so i can veiw what the scope is looking at on the pc/laptop But i am having no such luck, am i doing anything wrong or is there a compatabilty issue please help

You'll need to be a bit more specific about

a ) the steps you are taking

b ) any error messages you are receiving

c ) your set up environment

How is the computer connected to the mount?

What software are you using?

What is your operating system?

Help us to help you :)

You'll need to be a bit more specific about

a ) the steps you are taking

b ) any error messages you are receiving

c ) your set up environment

How is the computer connected to the mount?

What software are you using?

What is your operating system?

Help us to help you :)

i replied via your email hope this is ok

I am new to this my operating system is windows 7 home prem 32 bit. the pc is connected in 2 ways 1 from the usb-b port to the usb-a port on the pc and 2 from the usb-a to the usb-a port on the pc. I only have the autostar suite that came with the telescope. and the first time i connected to the pc the message that came up was installing new drivers then an error message unable to install drivers. Unknown device i hope this helps.

Hi Mjem, are you using a camera in the setup? Unless you attach a camera to the eyepiece on your telescope (such as a webcam or a DSLR maybe) and connect the camera USB cable to your computer then you will not see anything on your computer screen.

By how you have described your setup, it seems what you are doing is hooking up the telescope controller to your computer which then enables you to use your computer to control the telescope - it doesn't show you what you can see through the eyepiece...

I haven't used Meade scopes, but I'm pretty sure the Meade autostar system is rather like the Celestron Nexstar controller on my telescope - it is the database of stars and objects in the solar system that you can automatically slew your telescope to show you if you have it aligned correctly. In order to keep the database up to date or add new events such as comets and satellite locations, you can connect it to your PC and download new data to it so your telescope will know where to point when you instruct it. Firmware/software updates and drivers for your scope will also be performed in this way. As well as data updates, you can also use the PC to control where the telescope looks instead of using the hand controller via a point and click method from several star map software packages... it may not be quite as convenient a setup as simply plugging in and using the hand controller but it's much easier using a computer mouse and visual star map to control where you want the scope to point - and it means you can use the telescope remotely with you PC snugly in the comfort of your home (with suitable long cables or wireless connection).

The driver issues you mention are likely to be an incompatibility with the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system you are using on your PC. You could try running the autostar software in Compatibility mode (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows), or with Windows 7 Pro you can run a virtual Win XP mode

(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode) - as you have Windows 7 Home Premium, you may not have the XP mode functionality, in which case, you could try using Windows Virtual PC

(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx) which you can then run and install a version of Windows XP onto (*you'll need a Windows XP installation CD), and then install Autostar software on that, connect your scope and run it that way - then you will be able to update the drivers, firmware and necessary things to enable you to run it properly in Windows 7 - you can find out more on the Meade Autostar website... http://www.meade.com/autostar/autostars.html

Hope this helps you get started. If it sounds complicated, persevere because I went through the same problems with the Celestron connections on my scope. PCs and software have moved on a little since the scopes were first made but they can still be connected and updated to be compatible with the latest PCs - then you can control your scope from your favourite virtual planetaruim software, and hook up a camera and view the stars all from the comfort of your home!

You'll probably find that the Autostar suite that was supplied is an old version. Have a look at the Meade main website (meade.com?) They have plenty of downloads to bring the software up to date with the latest operating systems.

thank you so much will give all of it a try and let you know if it works or if i have anymore problems also i dont have a camera connected i thought it would work throught the built in ccd camera on the telescope i have only just recently got in to this hobbie i thought by buying an expensive electronic telescope it would make life so much easier how wrong was i lol thankyou

well like i said i will try all of the tips but as i try this it will take a while so any and all extra help and tips will be greatly appriciated just want to get set up and then get out there

Archived