NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Crescent Nebula NGC 6888

DarkerSky

Rolled out my 16" this evening with a special target in mind. Michael Bakich in August's edition of Astronomy seemed very matter of fact about viewing the Crescent Nebula visually. He was talking about seeing structure in it in 8" and larger scopes. I was intrigued, and as I'd not looked for it before I had no idea really what to expect. Managed to locate the area easily and saw a suggestion of some faint linear glow near a diamond asterism of stars in my 17mm EP. Popped in my lumicon filter and the faint glow became a little more obvious. It was, however, still a faint glow.

Spent about a half-hour letting the diamond asterism drift through my field of view. Gradually I could see more, and got a distinct curve of light that hooked around the lower part of the asterim and further out to the south. Started a sketch then had cloud come and interfere. Will hopefully get another chance to view and finish the sketch soon.

Hi

Out of interest what filter were you using? I ask this as I observed this very object through my 10" only a few weeks back and found it stood out very easily with my O-III, the crescent shape seen easily with some great detail too. Here: http://stargazerslou...summer-nebulae/

This was from a pretty good dark site.

When we get back there I will see if we can pick it out through the 120ED frac as I reckon it could be done. We didn't try last time for some reason.

Nice report! I spotted the Crescent using a UHC filter (run of the mill, despite APM branding) using my C8 from my back garden last year. Quite a few people thought it a purely photographic object. It does not have the immediate appeal of bright nebulae like M42 or M27, but it is great finding it. I must say I did not spot much detail. I should try again from a darker site

Hi

Out of interest what filter were you using? I ask this as I observed this very object through my 10" only a few weeks back and found it stood out very easily with my O-III, the crescent shape seen easily with some great detail too. Here: http://stargazerslou...summer-nebulae/

This was from a pretty good dark site.

When we get back there I will see if we can pick it out through the 120ED frac as I reckon it could be done. We didn't try last time for some reason.

It was a UHC, Steve. Just read your report. I have a lumicon OIII too, but (stupidly) I didn't try it out. On my list for next time. My nelm is 5.4, so not quite as dark as your location.

Nice report! I spotted the Crescent using a UHC filter (run of the mill, despite APM branding) using my C8 from my back garden last year. Quite a few people thought it a purely photographic object. It does not have the immediate appeal of bright nebulae like M42 or M27, but it is great finding it. I must say I did not spot much detail. I should try again from a darker site

From my location I'd say the Cresent is about on the limit of what I can make out (although not yet treid with an OIII). I've tried the Rosette before from here (seen from a darker site) but could not pick it up when I tried last winter.

From my location I'd say the Cresent is about on the limit of what I can make out (although not yet treid with an OIII). I've tried the Rosette before from here (seen from a darker site) but could not pick it up when I tried last winter.

The Crescent is just about at the limit for my site too (though the California Nebula is even harder). I could pick up the Rosette with my 80mm with UHC filter from a dark site, and once even from my garden under very good conditions using the C8. I find spotting the dust lanes in the nebula is often the easiest way of detecting the presence of something luminous in the background (same holds for the Cave).

Archived