Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mu Cephei (Garnet Star) Triple?

I was observing Mu Cephei last night and enjoying the view then I recalled from somewhere that it was a triple. I tried to look for data on the separations etc but had no luck (I am totally new to the game of Multiple Star Observing) - tried CdC, Stellarium and a general web search but no luck. So my viewing turned from pleasure to dissapointment at not knowing whether I had got the most out of the sight.

Is it a triple? What are the separations? Are there any published images of the grouping to give me a start point?

Help Please as I am beginning to see the unique pleasure in viewing multiples.

I guess I really need a good but simple catalogue of multiple stars. Which is the one to start with?

Thanks for any help you can give a fledgling observer (although maybe not so young in years!)

I think and maybe someone may correct me but very close to the garnet star is Struve 2816 which is a triple theres two doubles close too aswell Delta Cepheri and Struve 2819 id suggest you get a good book like Turn Left At Orion that shows you where to look and what to look for.

According to the Cambridge Double Star Atlas:

• 2816 is a triple of mags 5.6, 7.5 and 7.5, separations 12 and 20 secs;
  • 2819 is a double of mags 7.4 and 8.6, separation 12 secs.

They seem both to be inside (or in line of sight with) an open cluster (IC1396). Looking back, I see that I observed the cluster on 3rd Sept 1999 (must get out more!), and I noted at the time that there are "at least two close doubles and a superb triple". The triple must have been Struve 2816.

Archived