Urgent help needed

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daft question but we are into the daft senarios now, has the RDF got a dimmer switch and could it be turned right down?

I had a Celestron once with a dodgy dimmer, eventually it went completly so I bought a Baader RDF and never looked back.

friend has same scope and rdf works but intermittent, Next job to repair , i'm sure its the switch, I would take it apart and check and clean all contacts and check continuity on all wires, its unlikely to be the led.

Daft question but we are into the daft senarios now, has the RDF got a dimmer switch and could it be turned right down?

I had a Celestron once with a dodgy dimmer, eventually it went completly so I bought a Baader RDF and never looked back.

Yes, it has got a dimmer (adjustable brightness), I'll see if it's possible to take apart without breaking it.

I really don't want to have to buy a replacement or pay for it to be repaired.

Okay, I've taken the cover of the brightness adjuster, and am now unsure where I go from here, here's a picture:

coveroff.jpg

The screw was tight I believe.

When in this state, if I turn the middle I can still turn the thing on, but no light appears, still (but then I haven't really done anything).

I've tried tightening the screw as much as I can (my screwdriver is a little too big, so have to turn with it diagonally in) and it still wont work, would it be worth getting a screwdriver for the size of the screw?

Well a repair is usually uneconomic. My fault was the wiper made intermittent contact with the resistance layer. You might just have to bite the bullet and get another. Look at Astro buy and sell for a secondhand one.

if that happens a very light abrasion of the resistannce layer with v fine emery or the like normally gets it back, as poor contact is normally due to oxidation at the contact sites.

Archived