Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

basic and bare minimum needed for solar observing (diy) ssw250p

the cheapest way is to make a solar filter using baader solar film which cost about £20. took me about 30 min to make my filter which fits over the end of the scope NOT the eyepiece, there are some eyepice filters but these are very dangerous.

not everything is visible through a baader filter for that you need a proper solar telescope but its a good introduction to solar observing.

A 250PX is quite a big scope for solar observing but should be fine if get the right stuff.

You will need to get some Solar safety film, I use Baader ND5.0 solar safety film, and make a filter holder for it. I made one out of cardboard, but as a start you could tape some of the film over the small hole in the 250PX dustcap. Just make sure you use some masking tape or velcro strips to hold the dustcap in place.

Here's mine

sml_gallery_18573_1432_1338790545_16212.jpg

Did you get the solid tube or flex tube Dob? The solid tube is fine as-is, but if you have the flex tube, you will need to fit a shroud to prevent light coming in through the trusses as this could still hit the primary mirror bypassing the filter. That would not be good! Also, make sure you cover or remove the finderscope.

I am also in Glos. so if you want a hand with anything send me a PM.

Archived