NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with Deep Sky Stacker

Can somebody help me PLEASE!

I spent last night happily snapping away for the first time with my new camera and then tonight I have been trying to stack my pics using Deep Sky Stacker. My problem is that my RAW files are image sized 4272x2848 but when I try to use Deep Sky Stacker it sizes them as 1088x2874. All I am getting is the left hand size of my picture. AAAARRRGH!

I have tried converting the pictures to jpeg which then works ok but then I can't use the darks. Apparently they need to be RAW files which are incompatible with jpegs.

Can somebody please tell me what I can do?

I have 30 x pics of M13 and 20 x pics of M27 and I'm just itching to process them.

Thanks for any help.

Dave.

Ok so that now works all well and groovy and I'm getting quite a nice picture that I'm happy with. However, when I try to open the tiff file with another program it's awful! Nothing like the nice picture I'm getting when I open it in DSS. How can I save it as a file that opens properly in other programs?

Also, out of 30 frames it only stacked 5. How can I improve this?

Sorry of I'm sounding a bit of a pleb. I'm usually quite good at working out software put I'm no enjoying this much :(

Dave.

Ok so that now works all well and groovy and I'm getting quite a nice picture that I'm happy with. However, when I try to open the tiff file with another program it's awful! Nothing like the nice picture I'm getting when I open it in DSS. How can I save it as a file that opens properly in other programs?

Also, out of 30 frames it only stacked 5. How can I improve this?

Sorry of I'm sounding a bit of a pleb. I'm usually quite good at working out software put I'm no enjoying this much :(

Dave.

On the save image dialog box there is a tick box you have to tick (Its not very intuitive i know) took my ages to figure that out.

Dave,

I have seen this when looking at the saved image in DSS vs. PS. I found that I need to process the image with levels and curves in order to bring out the image. This is an image straight out of DSS and then after processing in PS CS4. Hope this helps.

John

post-24153-0-66888100-1344800839_thumb.j

post-24153-0-49625900-1344800842_thumb.j

Ok thanks a lot guys with your help I've got there :D

Im afraid I didn't get anything worthwhile out of M27 but I'm really quite pleased with my M13 :)

Sure it could be loads better but for a first attempt I'm made up. I'll post it on the correct thread in a mo.

Once again, thanks!

Dave.

Yes, DSS automatically shows you a histogram-stretched version of the stacked output. You can save the image with the adjustments applied if you like, but you'll achieve a much better result if you process the image yourself in Photoshop. Primarily because you can take a careful, iterative approach, allowing you to extract more faint detail and maintain the stars.

Archived