SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

help with setting up a polar scope

Hi Guys

Yesterday I got my polar scope but setting it up seems very confusing :? This morning I tried to align RA axis with polar scope's axis but it was too dark and the polar scope does not have illuminated reticle as it is written in the manual. I spent couple of hours trying to do so but then I gave up because I was not getting anywhere. Tried it again just a few moment ago and spent another 2hours and I finally got it right. BUT...then I found out I need to align 0 on a date circle with a meridian mark. I did that without problems then I read further through manual and next step was to release RA bolt and move the scope so that 1pm is aligned with 10th October on date circle. This is where I gave up. I cannot do this because the RA circle is not fixed and even if I tightened the fixing screw it would not be precise. My problem is that I don't know at what position the RA setting circle should be as I can turn it freely. I could just turn the RA setting circle and align it without the scope but that would be nonsense as it would not turn the polar scope. If I understood right the point of this step was to set proper position of Polaris with regards to celestial pole. Don't know what I can do now, wasted so many hours :lol: What is bad I think I also wasted all time trying to align RA axis with axis of the polar scope as I will still have to move the polar scope around so that Polaris is on the right place. At least I have learned how to do it and it should be faster next time. Is there anyone who could help me and point me to right direction please?

beginnings are so hard :wink:

Martin :D

Wait a minute here, are you saying all those lovely images were taken without accurate polal alignment!! Jings thats good!!

Anyways what to do (for a pretty good alignment anyways) is to align the scope with your mount axis, do this in daytime, aim at a far away chimeny or something.

Then downlod Polarfinder from here http://arnholm.org/astro/polar_alignment/index.html

Read the docs on the same page but basically you enter your location and it shows you where polaris should be in your polar scope. You look in the scope and turn the dec/az bolts till you see the same as the picture.

I found this a veryeasy way to get basic alignment, dont bother with all the cr@p that the manual says!!!!

Archived