Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spotting Scope views are incredible

icrusoe

I'm at a dark site in my hometown (my parents backyard :p). Clear Skies forecasted an awful seeing night so I decided not to bring my 8" dob...what a HUGE mistake that was :( I'm so glad that we're a hunting family and have various optics for sighting in firearms at the range. The scope is a Nikon Sky & Earth 60mm. I could EASILY see all of the following tonight:

Firstly, I could spot Andromeda with the naked eye, and was easily picked up with the tripod mounted spotting scope.

Next, I hit, in sequential order:

M28

Lagoon Nebula

Trifid Nebula

M21

M24

M18

Omega Nebula

Eagle Nebula

M26

Wild Duck Cluster

The views were equivalent to what I could see in the capital, Ottawa, with my 8" dob. It's absolutely incredible/ridiculous what light pollution detracts and what a dark site can add to a night! All with a 60mm scope - absolutely incredible!

Nice to hear you had a great observing session.

It really is hard to overestimate the effect of dark skies on DSO observation. All the filters and aperture in the world will have a tough time keeping up with with a much smaller scope under pitch black skies. Lately I have become such a dark sky snob that I won't even hunt DSO's unless I am under dark skies, I leave the polluted skies for planetary and lunar almost exclusively nowadays, well that and the occasional star splitting session. :)

Regards,

Eigen

I think I'll be joining the DSO snobbery club as well! 9/10 when searching for DSO's in light pollution I just end up getting frustrated and annoyed and pack it in after a 20 minute session!

A great account icrusoe.The weekend before last I visited my parents in South Wales.The dark skies there are in my opinion some of the best in The UK. I was observing with my Skywatcher 120mm F5 and 8 x 42 Opticron HR binoculars.The Skywatcher was 18.5 x magnification.The views were staggering.The views of The double cluster in Perseus were better than when a friend and I were observing it with His 10 inch newtonian in North london.Interestingly my wife and I are looking to move to Dorset in a year or so.The skies there are quite dark.

When I got back to London I felt deflated and demotivated to set up the telescope as the light polluted skies seem to be getting worse exponentially.

Dark skies rule.

Martin.

Archived