NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Positioning a finder on a GEM mounted scope?!

I've been attempting to use an Orion 9x50 finderscope with my C8 (on the CG5) and I find it extremely irritating trying to use it when the scope is pointing at such an angle that I have to get down on my knees to look into the finder! It's not a right angle finder, but even if it was, I can see times where it's going to be really difficult to get to.

Anyway I gave up with that,as I just don't like finderscopes, and bought a Telrad. But I'm thinking - this thing is going to suffer the same problems with the GEM mount.

How on Earth do you guys with GEMs all position your finders so they're comfortable to use?! :wink:

I'm thinking of buying an extra mounting base (or three!) for the Telrad and mounting them on opposite sides of the OTA so I can move it between them? Is that feasible?

A right angle finder maybe your way forward. RDF's like your Telrad are slighly easier in that you just 'look' and there's your view with your dot, no squinting into a 'normal' finder but you still have to contort your body if you're looking near the zenith. The only other alternative I can think of is to get a low power, wide angle EP and 'find' objects that way.

HTH

Tony..

A right angle finder maybe your way forward. RDF's like your Telrad are slighly easier in that you just 'look' and there's your view with your dot, no squinting into a 'normal' finder but you still have to contort your body if you're looking near the zenith. The only other alternative I can think of is to get a low power, wide angle EP and 'find' objects that way.

HTH

Tony..

I believe Telrads can be fitted with mirrors too, so I may look into that.

What about sticking on two mounting plates for the Telrad - one on each side of the OTA - so I can swap it between the two postiions? Anyone tried that?

Archived