Beginner Binocular Set

Hi all,

So I've been doing some research into setting myself up with a sort of Starter Pack for astronomy, and after doing a bit of research, and having a small budget, These are the things I've decided on;

• Meade 10x50 Binoculars
  • 5" Planishpere The first four come in this set from The Telescope House.
  • LED Star Map Torch
  • Phillips Guide to the Night Sky
  • Sky and Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas
  • Phillips Stargazing with Binoculars
  • A tripod and mounting bracket (I know certain tripods aren't greatly recommended, but I'm sure any will be steadier than my hands.)

I was hoping you guys could give me some advice. Is this a good set to start with? What about the binoculars? Will they be appropriate? Or are there things you would add in or take away?

Any input at all would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Butters

I believe those binoculars are identical except for the badge to my Bressers. They're certainly OK.

That particular planisphere is IMHO too small though. It does fit nicely inside the binocular case so you'll always have it if you go somewhere, but for normal use I much prefer the David Chandler double-sided one, http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/david-chandler-night-sky-planisphere.html

I own and rate the Stargazing with Binoculars book, it really helped me get started out. As I haven't read the Guide to the Night Sky I don't know how the compare and the extent to which they overlap.

For star charts, I rate Taki's Star Atlas, http://www.geocities.jp/toshimi_taki/index.htm A dozen A4 pages for the mag 6.5 version which is just the trick for binocular astronomy.

Certainly a tripod is useful for stabilising the view, easing the arm-ache, and in my experience crucially for being able to switch between binoculars and charts when learning to star hop. I have a Vivitar one which copes well with my 10x50s, but struggles with my 15x70s and I would not recommend it at its full price (I got it on sale).

I already have a much bigger planisphere, so the size of that one isn't too much of a concern, it just comes bundled with the set.

Thanks for the star chart pointer, I shall definitely check it out.

Would a general camera tripod do the trick for a piar of 10x50's? Or should I be looking for one with a certain specification?

Hi MrButters, not much to add really. I bought that set from Telescope House to have a smaller set of bino's than my 15x70's and it is certainly worth the price. The binoculars I find perform very well for their price tag and they have Bak 4 prisms, great at this price. Obviously the soft case is not great, to be expected in this price range. I use the 10x50 hand held quite happily without fatigue unlike my 15x70's. The book is quite small but will get you going. The red torch is perfectly usable and will fit in your case easily as its quite small at about 7cm's. Sky and Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas is definitely a worthwhile investment too.

The most important "specification" will be the maximum height, you'll need enough to place the binoculars above your head when seated, so probably 5 to 6 feet. I don't know what sort of heads are best, having only used the pan-and-tilt variety. Other than that, just like with the optics you get what you pay for with tripods. Others can probably give better advice on specific models.

For my Olympus 10x50 binoculars I bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Star-Tripod-Carry-Case/dp/B0000WXD16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343721523&sr=8-1

Its made mostly of plastic but holds everything very steady and stable, not bad at all for the price =] extends quite high too the tripod legs extend out pretty far and there is a lever to raise the height of the tripod head too.

When not using the tripod I lay down on a deck chair reclined resting the binoculars on my eyes.

Archived